Is it possible to take power for a 1.kw towel rail heater and extractor from a lighting circuit

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peckhamboy72

Newly qualified Electrician
Reaction score
Is it possible to take power for a 1.5kw towel rail heater and extractor fan from a lighting circuit on a 6amp breaker.
I was thinking if possible to change the ceiling rose to wago connector box and take the 2x cables for towel rail and extractor fan ,1 xcable for light and 1x switch cable , Is this acceptable, i dont know were to look in the regs book for clarification.
Any help much appreciated.

Just spoke to my friend she says the T.rail is 200w, so 200w/ 230 v is 0.87amps, plus extractor fan 40w/230 is 0.17 amps, so roughly 1 amp together .
Is this to much to go onto a 6 amp lighting circuit connected together with roughly 5 other bedroom lights.
Thanks ben.

Also, (sorry to add more to the thread) how can I control the towel rail and extractor fan if I do connect into the lighting circuit.

Just spoke to my friend she says the T.rail is 200w, so 200w/ 230 v is 0.87amps, plus extractor fan 40w/230 is 0.17 amps, so roughly 1 amp together .
Is this to much to go onto a 6 amp lighting circuit connected together with roughly 5 other bedroom lights.
Thanks ben.
simple answer is yes you could, we used to fit 300/500w halogen floodlights for security to houses, so 200 W should not be an issue n it's own right. However, you have to get a cable down from ceiling into wall, so it may well be easier to lift floorboards and find a suitable socket circuit to tap into.

A 3 core cable for the isolation switch for on/off at light switch for ex fan,but could I also take power for towel rail, is it possibke

simple answer is yes you could, we used to fit 300/500w halogen floodlights for security to houses, so 200 W should not be an issue n it's own right. However, you have to get a cable down from ceiling into wall, so it may well be easier to lift floorboards and find a suitable socket circuit to tap into.

Also it was common practice years ago to find either;
Wall mounted single bar 1kw integral cord-pull operated bathroom heater...
OR
A combined light and ceiling heater with a circular heating element and lamp in the middle with a cord pull that used to cycle through light only / light & heater / off.. (or something like that)
e.g. one of these sort of beasts... now obsolete to my understanding...
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Heat-and-Light-Bathroom-Heater/dp/B008TQVLO6

But anyway, the point being they were often just connected to a single 5A lighting circuit supplying the whole house, off a 4-way Wylex 3036 board.

Aha the old Sunhouse 'heat n light'. Wall mounts were usually Radisil, mounted over the bathroom door so that if the door was left partially open it would burn the top of the door and/ or strip the paint off it
Not seen one for years, dint see many fan heaters either these days. I made the mistake of turning on a fan heater that no one had cleaned for years, the thick layer of dust nearly caused a fire..

Also it was common practice years ago to find either;
Wall mounted single bar 1kw integral cord-pull operated bathroom heater...
OR
A combined light and ceiling heater with a circular heating element and lamp in the middle with a cord pull that used to cycle through light only / light & heater / off.. (or something like that)
e.g. one of these sort of beasts... now obsolete to my understanding...
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Heat-and-Light-Bathroom-Heater/dp/B008TQVLO6

But anyway, the point being they were often just connected to a single 5A lighting circuit supplying the whole house, off a 4-way Wylex 3036 board.
Yes remember them old 1bar element heaters wired off the lighting circuit

I do struggle with threads like this.
The OP is now going to fit this towel radiator, probably in a bathroom that may or may not have 30mA RCD protection. Maybe its in zone 1, maybe not.
It may or may not have a working earth (no Zs will be done), and there may or may not be existing IR faults on the circuit.
They may be using 3 core flex (0.75mm or less) and they may just tape up a choc block in the loft when they pinch power.
I think a little knowledge is dangerous and we should either take the time to fully explain all aspects of the job to the DIYer (which I very very occasionally do), or give no advice at all (which I usually choose).
Sorry, I know I'm going to ruffle feathers now, don't mean to!