Is RCBO required?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avinalarf

Reaction score
If someone wants me to add a pull-switch in the bathroom, taking the feed from their upstairs lighting circuit, do I need to change the current mcb to an RCBO as it's a 16th edition board?

Thanks.

I think the answer is yes due to it being in a bathroom, anywhere else and It would be ok.

i am going to say yes as its in the bathroom

AFAIAA the addition has to be to the 17th, the existing does not, but easiest way would be to swap the MCB for an RCBO.

Out of interest why are you putting pull switch in bathroom and as others have said as you are working on a circuit in bathroom yes it will need RCD protection.

Batty

Is there not a light switch already for bathroom, so is this more of a case of changing a wall plate for a pull switch, (or have I read this wrong) and would people still consider this as needing RCD?

Is there not a light switch already for bathroom, so is this more of a case of changing a wall plate for a pull switch, (or have I read this wrong) and would people still consider this as needing RCD?
Yep, as it is not a like for like switch change.

in honesty if they said no to the extra for rcbo, would you change the switch regardles for cash.

(put the pull cord outside the bathroom) ; \

in honesty if they said no to the extra for rcbo, would you change the switch regardles for cash. (put the pull cord outside the bathroom) ; \
would be no need for a pull cord outside the bathroom.

your altering the wiring, not changing an accessory, so work would then need done to 17th. if this was in any other room, then your new wiring would not be in a wall, and therefore not need RCD'd, but in this case will because its in a bathroom

You could use one of those RCD fused spurs outside the bathroom (possibly next to fan isolator if one is fitted) to cover just the bathroom circuit. Saves losing all your lights when a lamp blows, and easier than mucking about with an old cramped fuse board.

It just doesn't strike me as particularly altering electrical characteristics of circuit enough to merit RCDing, assuming all things are cross-bonded and generally upto 16th edition. However, I do have some bathroom lights to alter (changing to downlights), so if anyone knows where to get an RCBO for a 20 year old Proteus CU, (or if anyone has tried this and failed cos they don't fit), I would like to know. Plan B, RCD alongside CU is probaly better.
I know what you mean! I've tried to argue that if the downlights are IP rated and double insulated then the wiring isn't actually in the bathroom - it's above it! A decision for your conscience!

I know what you mean! I've tried to argue that if the downlights are IP rated and double insulated then the wiring isn't actually in the bathroom - it's above it! A decision for your conscience!
Hadn't thought of that one Dave :^O .

RCD fused spur for lighting is probably best option, along with in-line RCD for shower - fortunately someone put Shower isolator next to CU, as opposed to next to bathroom, so another small box there will not be too noticeable. One thought though, shouldn't one be RCDing all the light circuit, or is doing bathroom only fully acceptable?

Latest posts