I've been naughty.....and also nealry cried today!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oracle

Reaction score
Interesting day...

Got the job to install a secondary CU to feed two new circuits.

Job consisted of fitting a fused isolator into recesss elec board box, a 3m run of armed up the outside wall from the cutout box, then in to the new CU.

The naughty bit is where I had to move the E7 meter,the telemeter and a henley in the box to make room for the isolator..... "What do you mean there should be 7 tags on all the elec boards gear? I never saw any tags your honour" ;)

Fitting the new isolator into the box took me about 2 hours!

Decided to fit a 60A isolator and run 16mm to new CU - It was a snug fit. Tried a few places to get 2 core 16mm, but could only get 3 core. Great fun using it in a domestic house!! Give me industrial/commercial any day!

The crying part, is when I had spent 3 hours installing the swa from the new CU, down the wall, into the elec box. I measured, marked and cut the armour back to terminate it into the new metal isolator...guess what I cut it about 45mm too short!!

The armour no longer reaches the metal clad isolator!!!! *cries*

Luckily I was able to stand off the gland from the isolator using a 25mm conduit coupler - there was no way I was gonna replace the cable! Pray

Anyway, I took a new 16mm earth from the head, into the metal isolator. Install new 10mm from the water and gas into the isolator too.

The cutout had 16mm tails from it into the E7 meter, then 25mm onwards. The cutout had a 100A fuse - dont you just love the elec board standards!

Oracle

Well done Oracle. I think that is why you find dno don't like you putting your gear in there box if they have e7 stuff there ain't room.

Batty.

I'll take some piccies tomorrow (hopefully I wont get slated too much!)

I will be testing and completing the cert tomorrow. As I have never fitted a fused isolator in the the tails before, is this classed as a new DB, with a submain circuit feeding the new CU?

Or do I just test the new CU and ignore anything for the fused isolator?

When doing the EIC, what device do I chose as the main switch? The RCD incomer in the new CU, or the switched fused isolator? (I'm assuming the RCD).

Oracle.

I'll take some piccies tomorrow (hopefully I wont get slated too much!)I will be testing and completing the cert tomorrow. As I have never fitted a fused isolator in the the tails before, is this classed as a new DB, with a submain circuit feeding the new CU?

Or do I just test the new CU and ignore anything for the fused isolator?

When doing the EIC, what device do I chose as the main switch? The RCD incomer in the new CU, or the switched fused isolator? (I'm assuming the RCD).

Oracle.
the switch fuse should be main switch. and why do you have an RCD incomer in the new CU?

sicne you have installed a switch fuse, that would be DB1, with submain to DB2. you will need 1 schedule of test results per DB

Hi guys,

The new CU only has two circuits - there is another CU will other light and power circuits on it. The client did not want RCBOs - so I was a bit limited :(

Oracle.

Why not? Your client probably doesn't know an RCBO from a BFPO!

I can see no valid reason for rejecting RCBO's when you have to have RCD protection anyway (other than cost, and for two, there's b*****r all in it).

J

Test from Origin i.e Switch Fused Isolator, the top line on the test schedule is reserved for this on a Domestic Installation Certificate.

RCD across board could be a health and safety issue, if serving one area with power and lighting, trip goes all power and lighting lost.