Jb's under floor

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m4tty

Scaredy cat™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi,

When was it that junction boxes were. O longer allowed to be put under floorboards? Was it 17th edition 2008 or before. Having a blond moment :)

They're not going to be accessible unless carpet taken up and boards removed. Just wondered when they had to be maintenance free. Thought it was 17th ?

Don't know when that one crept in M4tty , it was to do with accessibility IIRC and the sudden appearance of maintenance free , everlasting joints that can be sealed in and lost forever. I'd call under floorboards accessible. Eventually.!!

JBs under floorboards ....I just do 'em to be honest, not on new work I hasten to add . I never found it necesarry to beat myself up 'cos I'd JB'd off a ring to add a socket .

Thats right Slippery , I think it was the inacessible wonder screwless joints that were suddenly mooted.

Always something I was taught was joints being accessible , not plastered over, boxed in etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Like you Deke if I am spurring of a ring for an extra socket I would use a 30 amp JB to connect under the floor. Strip back the conductors then add the spur in. If there was plenty of spare cable I probably would go maintenance free but generally you don't get that.

For me, what changed the definition of "accessible" was laminate flooring.

Carpet can always be rolled back to expose the trap to give access to a JB.

But Laminate flooring. Forget it.

So now I never fit JB's under a floor because they might not remain accessible.

The job we are on right now has real oak boards being glued down onto the old pine boards.

I said to the guy laying it, what happens if the pipes leak or we have a problem with cables, he just shrugged shoulders and said not my problem.

This is the problem today nobody thinks forward its all about now.

Same as tiling an upstairs bathroom floor. I wouldn't do it Personally but have done it for others but stupid idea me thinks.

The reason I asked the question was I went round someone's house which was being rewired by someone else and the ceilings were down and it had been wired with junction boxes under floors. I wouldn't have done it this way at all

Cheers

Had just this problem recently when a ring went down. The water had risen under the floor with the heavy rain we had a few months ago and got into a jb which had been used to extend the ring into a conservatory. Laminate floors had to come up to sort it [customer wanted carpets anyway].

Don"t mind jb's if its unavoidable but wish everyone would at least screw em to a joist, especially on the ground floor as once water gets in then the problems start.

Had just this problem recently when a ring went down. The water had risen under the floor with the heavy rain we had a few months ago and got into a jb which had been used to extend the ring into a conservatory. Laminate floors had to come up to sort it [customer wanted carpets anyway].Don"t mind jb's if its unavoidable but wish everyone would at least screw em to a joist, especially on the ground floor as once water gets in then the problems start.
had similar fault a few weeks ago, fortunately there was a carpet, so no damage needed for access

of course, if it was wired properly in the first place, then the JB would not have been there in the first place, sitting on the ground at a low point in the water, which seems to be a common problem in that area

I just use crimps and give them a good tape up, far quicker than a mF joint box. Good quality crimper and tape that doesnt fall off!

I just use crimps and give them a good tape up, far quicker than a mF joint box. Good quality crimper and tape that doesnt fall off!
tape is not an acceptable enclosure or insulation.

of course you could always use heatshrink over the join

Ahhhh well you have got me there, I would have to use a screwless JB!

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 18:02 ---------- Previous post was made at 18:01 ----------

[quote name='Andy