JIB CARD

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparky999

Reaction score
Hi as u may know from my post from the weekend i had my certs through for being qualified and in my paper work i had an application form on applying for a JIB card i was just wondering if any of you have one and is it worth getting one its only

if they will give you one for 25quid prob get it, if you ever want to work outside of england and wales then youve just wasted your money cos nobody anywhere, ANYWHERE else in the world has any sort of a clue what they are!

but in all honesty its prob one of those things that might just be the thing to have some day when the guy in front of you doesnt.....

25quid, Id take one just in case.

I completed a full JIB apprenticeship, a further year's experience in the field ensured an C&G 'Electrician's certificate' and a JIB Full enrollment as a 'Approved' electrician & card holder. We were all told that this could never be taken away, would last our lifetime. Only people who had completed a indentured apprenticeship and went onto the electricians cert could call themselves approved.

Over time this has changed round to the extent my card means ****** all but almost anyone can buy one for

I completed a full JIB apprenticeship, a further year's experience in the field ensured an C&G 'Electrician's certificate' and a JIB Full enrollment as a 'Approved' electrician & card holder. We were all told that this could never be taken away, would last our lifetime. Only people who had completed a indentured apprenticeship and went onto the electricians cert could call themselves approved. Over time this has changed round to the extent my card means ****** all but almost anyone can buy one for

JIB is not worth the paper it's printed on anymore, just another way to get cold hard cash out of the working man.

I would also say this about the NIECEIC A total watse of money in my opinion, I know I may get hung for that but it's just my opinion. NAPIT is far better suited AFAIC.

Just seen this thread from August on JIB cards. I worked as a JIB Approved Electrician for years . The idea of the card was to give your new employer an idea of your worth and experience, and guaranteed at least the union rate.

I paid the

Ah I see what you mean Apache , shot myself in the foot with that comment, did'nt I Blushing 'spose I've done it again now by shooting myself in the foot.

Perhaps I need to go on a safety course !!

Deke

Taking a sideways step i have still got money tied up in a jib pension.now thats showing my age lol

Just another thought on the JIB Card, It was the only thing I had to show that I was a JIB apprentice,then Electrician, then Approved Electrician. The main reason I kept it up to be honest.

Deke

the card you need is the ECS card which is the cscs card for electricians .it is affiliated with the JIB .( they use the same grading system)

don't know about domestics but more and more commercial/industrial sites are asking for it

the card you need is the ECS card which is the cscs card for electricians .it is affiliated with the JIB .( they use the same grading system)don't know about domestics but more and more commercial/industrial sites are asking for it
Thats the card I've always had but they force

Apache speak with non logical tongue. Your logic says ,then, that a 16yr old apprentice will somehow have 40 yrs of safety experience built in his brain and wont do anything stupid, but to have attended many safety courses over a 40 yr span and to have been Health and Safety Supervisor before being self employed means I am a greater risk and that I have learned nothing from the many courses, which means then, that there is no point in attending them because the more you do , the more stupid risks you take. :(

Discuss Pray

Apache speak with non logical tongue. Your logic says ,then, that a 16yr old apprentice will somehow have 40 yrs of safety experience built in his brain and wont do anything stupid, but to have attended many safety courses over a 40 yr span and to have been Health and Safety Supervisor before being self employed means I am a greater risk and that I have learned nothing from the many courses, which means then, that there is no point in attending them because the more you do , the more stupid risks you take. :( Discuss Pray
You are maybe a bad example. Been a health & safety supervisor may stand you in good stead.

I believe familiarity can be very dangerous. Other threads with people gallantly pulling suppliers fuses etc, with some members stating they've seen them break up in people's hands.

I know in my job I've done things I shouldn't have and put myself in positions and places I shouldn't. You realise afterwards how nasty things could have been, but you think you can predict the situation.

Not electrically related but one of our clients was crushed by his bull, he'd been around livestock all his life and got himself into the house and died with 1 welly on 1 welly off. I doubt he considered himself at risk. He was only 50. But he got familiar with the bull, who he thought was quiet. It cost him his life. :|

Apache, get as many shocks as I have and you'll not get too complacent.

an old bloke told me many moons ago you needed 3 little ones a year to keep you scared of it,

maybe he was right,

Ive only ever had a handful of biggies!

cos Im still **** scared of even getting a little un I tread careful.

as for falling of a triple 14' extension ladder fully extended in middle of the street and being held by two guys at the bottom while I straight climb up and change a yellow 15w lamp in some xmas lights strung across the road in old stylee festoon with the removable holders,,,,,,

well Im not that young fit apprentice anymore,

and I never did fall.......................

Just trying to get the picture of Steps up that vertical ladder in the middle of nowhere out off my mind Ooo dear . Could have hit the deck with a broken back for the sake of a 15watt lamp (bulb 2 u patch)

I take your point Patch , we are all only human and can make a wrong decision at any time , bit like driving , you have to make a wrong decision sometime .

Latest posts