Just moved to a new house....................

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[quote name=mick061261;15391The consumer is in the garage and labelled for next inspection 2009.If I was to convert the garage into a kitchen and stick a bedroom on top ' date=' should I be budgeting for new 17th edition kit or would the light and power circuits be extended using existing consumer ( its under 3 years old )

IMHO I would go for a new board and separate the kitchen / bedroom from existing circuits. Basically the more circuits you have the less potential for chaos from unforseen problems with existing wiring, or as the regs say - 'segregation of circuits for maintenance / inspection' . Its also nice to know your new bits are completely up to date, and shouldn't need repairing for many years to come. You could also consider using a second 'mini' consumer unit for the kitchen and bedroom to save a few quid, and avoid having to test / certify existing system.

If on the other hand the property has been re-wired, and not just had CU changed then extending/ modifying existing sytem becomes a more viable option, and could be done from existing CU apart from you will probably need to RCD lighting circuits (to protect cables less than 50mm deep within walls) using an RCBO to replce MCB for lights. However as RCBOs cost almost as much as a mini CU, then I would still be inclined to run with that option.

The other benefit of segragting new cicuits is that it causes less disruption during the building works.

It may be worth contacting a few local sparks to come out and have a look, cos we obviously can't see what you've got and it is obviously hard to give good advice accordingly.

cos we obviously can't see what you've got and it is obviously hard to give good advice accordingly.

True, But some pics would certainly help. :)

Hi Admin, completly off track for this post, but have you considered a handy links page to manufactures, technical sites etc. Links are constantly posted in the forums but are obviously difficult to track down at a later date, and I undestand you can make money from this to help finance the forum

Hi Admin, completly off track for this post, but have you considered a handy links page to manufactures, technical sites etc. Links are constantly posted in the forums but are obviously difficult to track down at a later date, and I undestand you can make money from this to help finance the forum
Most links are posted here;

http://www.talk.electricianforum.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=15

Thanks for the advice chaps.........obviously some of you are not aware that our regs on " overflow pipes through fascia's " have changed. We are now required to pass the overflows down through the cavity and discharge into a water butt for re-cycling;) ;) ; )

Just to really pee everybody off , having spent 25 years keeping abreast of Corgi rules , regs and updates........some t*at has worked out that they can re-brand and re-name the gas industry , all in the name of confusing the public and screwing more money from operativesX(X( X(

You guy's will be next, I'll put my stilsons on it. :|

our regs on " overflow pipes through fascia's " have changed. We are now required to pass the overflows down through the cavity and discharge into a water butt for re-cycling;) ;) ; )

Just to really pee everybody off ,

I was talking to my plumber/corgi registered Gas friend about that - a month or two ago.

Thanks for the advice chaps.........obviously some of you are not aware that our regs on " overflow pipes through fascia's " have changed. We are now required to pass the overflows down through the cavity and discharge into a water butt for re-cycling;) ;) ; )
This IS a joke..... surely? :_|

Plumber friend reckons that whereas as previously - they would run it into a drain. They now have to run it into the downpipe. For some strange reason. :)

Now that makes sense.

Stops that 'all-night' splashing sound when someone can't be ****d to sort out their ballcock valve! :D