kitchen appliances

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DJLSparks

Reaction score
Hi guys,

New to the site so go easy!

Just a query regarding the periodic testing of fixed appliances within kitchens.

Where it is not practical to remove the appliance gaining access to the connection plate/outlet behind...

When carrying out testing with above, I use a wander lead, one end at CU and try to find a metal part of said appliance to prove it has an earth.

My boss has told me this reading must be below 0.05 ohms? I'm sure that only relates to bonding?

Also, if not the wander lead method, is it deemed suitable to gain a continuity reading between metal point of appliance, and local circuit within reach....usually counter socket outlets??

What are your thoughts guys!

Thanks go your response Andy...

So what's your take on the fixed wiring which feeds that appliance?

not 100% clued up on pir but my first thought would be

test at point of isolation and continuity between isolation and appliance put it down as limitation

or charge more money and remove the applaince

Can't see point of just seing if its earthed surely if it catches on fire the day after you did that test you would be liable.

Thanks for your thoughts guys...

Had a chat with NICEIC tech today, they said pretty much what you guys have said.

But also mentioned it is good practice to prove there is an earth at the appliance with the wander lead by testing between this and the isolation point. This can be recorded in the R2 box.