Kitchen question/suggestions needed

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The kitchen fitters are correct the integrated appliances have not got enough room behind for a socket and plug . I would change the double socket behind and fit two fcu the cable will take 27amps the most the appliances will take is 13amps each thus 26amps. now wheres the problem. someone said what happens if the fuse blows in the fcu,there problem not yours, and to be honest when was the last time you blow a 13amp fuse. I for one cant remember.
Same as if the fuse in a moulded plug blows... ;)

if there had been clearance behind the appliance!!! :)

Yes m8:When we do these; we always put the sockets in an adjacent cupboard. This allows access for testing, as well as isolation for servicing etc.

Putting the sockets behind the appliances is, to my mind, asking for problems.

I`d move the socket in question into a base unit, if it were me.

HTH

KME
I knew there was a reason I liked you Martyn, you use yer head me old mukka, it does rather annoy me when I have to try & find these things on PIR's only to have to hump a full & usually running dishwasher or washer.

Hi Guys

I am a Kitchen fitter, Integrated D/W's are usually 550mm deep, a standard Kitchen unit is 570mm deep - sometimes 560mm.

So......only 10-20mm to fit a socket facia and a plug top behind it. We always put the sockets in an adjacent unit as mentioned eariler by KME.

We usually ask the sparky to leave a 400mm loop on the ring next to the appliance, when fitting the units we'll drill and bring the cables into the units for them to second fix.

There you go, an answer by someone who does this sensibly.

Why cant more of us trade people talk to eachother about these things before the job is started, that way these things can be bashed out beforehand and save us all a lot of headaches/redfaces?

Welcome to the forum.

Seconded mr. Duska. Welcome.

Thanks Nige; love to be appreciated:x:x:x

Last pir I did, american fridge freezer with socket behind it.

Had to lim the insulation test, as we couldn`t move the soddin` thing!

Same kitchen, we had to pull out w/mc, d/w, integ fridge & integ freezer to get to sockets.

They`d gone with the units set out from the wall, to accomodate a gas pipe, and extra deep worktops (660mm) to make up the difference.

Plenty of room for sockets thenX(X(X( X(

Just to stick my spoke in the wheels of kitchendom!!!!! :eek: :( :| ]:)

Personally when I am doing kitchen work..

and I do occasionally do complete kitchen fits as well as just electrics.. ]:) ;)

I put Non-Switched fused spur behind the appliance location..

and run that back to a suitably accessible double pole switch, fixed somewhere to the building. :)

Although the regs do not say you cant fit sockets on kitchen furniture..

The IEE Electricians guide to the buildings regulations does not recommend the above method of fixture..

And I have come across many a kitchen installation where, to try and work out where an appliance can be isolated from is like lookin for a needle in a haystack! :|

stuck at the back of cupboards.. behind the cornflakes... wires cut too short. :(

Or

Step ladder jobs into high cupboards above eye-level ovens! :(

and

You have to be a ruddy contortionist to be able to get to access & inspect the socket! :_|

The above mentioned publication..

ISBN 0 86341 463 X

Page 56.

Paragraph 5.2.2 Location of accessories in kitchensGeneral guidance can be provided as follows:

(i) Wiring accessories (e.g. socket outlets, switches) should be mounted on the building fabric and not kitchen furniture.

(v) Socket outlets supplying washing machines and dishwashers etc, should be positioned so that water that may drip from plumbing or equipment is unlikely to affect the socket outlet or plug.

(vii) Socket outlets supplying appliances pushed under work-surface e.g. dishwashers, tumble dryers and fridges should be accessible when the appliance is pulled out.

(viii) Appliances built into kitchen furniture (integrated appliances) should be connected to a socket outlet or fused connection unit that is readily accessible when the appliance is in place and in normal use or supplied from a socket outlet or other connecting device controlled by a readily accessible double pole switch or switched fused connection unit.
Obviously there are some of the bullet points omitted there.. (to do with lighting & other bits)

But the ones relevant to socket & appliance I have included.

Again ... This is NOT the regs... but just Guidance for GOOD practice!

and as always we each "pays your money & takes your pick"?

Personally I endeavourer to follow the above guideline with any kitchen work I am doing or quoting for! ;) :D :) :) :)

Good Morning. :D
Is that a promise?

will it be stayin dry...

cuz I have a quick outdoor job first call this morning??

So if it rains......

I shall blame you... X(

For telling untruths! :eek:

In fact I may even sue you for loss of earnings!! :| ]:) ] :)

(oh ******! typin gone wonky... but corrected before "Submit"

I had put... " for loss of earrings"!! :^O :^O:^O:^ O)

Anyway?

shouldn't you be out fillin up the car!? ?:| ;) :D :D:D:p:p:^O:^O:^O:^O

Come on specs - I have heard that you are a wiz on the old PC and furthermore on the ol designing/graphics.

You could put together a pro looking banner / Header for us. :p

Come on specs - I have heard that you are a wiz on the old PC and furthermore on the ol designing/graphics.You could put together a pro looking banner / Header for us. :p
In all seriousness..

get your kids to do some drawing, pattern, finger painting, anything nice...

Don't have to be electrical specifically...

any groovy unique patterns colours whatever..

something to reflect admin1 & admin2 & all the little admins?

and all the hard work settin up & administering this place!? :x :D

I reckon that would be good?

then scan it in...

Its going to be better than "V bulletin"! ;) :D

I just think its one of those things..

If you work to hard at it.. it will be all crap & pretentious..

Whereas just a childlike simplisity... could just hit the nail on the head..

(as they say??)

:) :) :x

ask the rest of the gang?

Your were correct.... :) :D It is a "Good Morning" :D .... Dry & Bright! :x

all good for me quick outdoor job!!! :D :D:D:D:D:D:x:x:x
:D

Your were correct.... :) :D It is a "Good Morning" :D .... Dry & Bright! :x

all good for me quick outdoor job!!! :D :D:D:D:D:D:x:x:x
Now you have said that i bet its not quick !!!!!

:^O :^O:^O;)

I remember seeing a nice solution for this problem on 'the dark forum' - but damned if I can find it!

As I remembered it it consisted of recessing a deep double dry lining box into the wall and fitting a small 13A single extension type socket to one side at right angles. This means that when plugged in the plug would be fully recessed into the wall, and the lead is not strained as the cable comes out in the gap.

Hope this triggers someones memory!