landlords

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hit the wrong buttonWet Fish, a landlord has asked me does he have to have a pir done yearly and for every new tennant whichever comes sooner? any advice plz?

thanx andy, my guess at that then wud be to recommend every year or change of occupancy but by the regs only once every ten year!! wud u agree? Also i was at job yesterday upgrading earths and after locating stop cock(plastic pipe) i popped floorboard and had look under. About 1metre under floor the main water returns to a copper pipe then teed off with plastic t upto the boiler in copper. back at the t the copper pipe heads towards the kitchen in copper pipe, i had a look under the sink and its been jointed behind unit i assume and plumbed in plastic. Upstairs bathroom is in plastic. Where do i bond to for my main water earth because i cannot physically reach the copper section of the pipe work or do i not have 2?

the only place i can get a bond to for the water is the copper pipe goin up 2 the boiler, would this be adequate? i cannot physically reach the pipe that heads towards the kitchen sink, can i just put this in comments box on certs?

There is always a great danger it generalising. I am also a Landlord as I have property in town which is rented Via a letting agent.

My letting agent will insist on a new certificate being issued on change of occupant for one reason only. (he also says I can refuse but if I do I must take my property elsewhere).

He says that not all occupants are good occupants and we just do not know if the installation has be tampered with.

He has shown me photographs of the sort of mischief enraged occupants can get up to in tampering with things so I am more than happy to issue new certificates on a change.

The letting agent also says that the law of the land states clearly that a Landlord has a duty of care and states that a Landlord must do all that is "reasonably Practicable" (those wonderful words of law) to ensure the safety of a tenant.

So, in the event of a tenant leaving under duress it would be a wise move to make sure all is well with the installation as in the event of an accident and the Landlord being asked if he had checked the installation and saying yes I did 8 years ago here is the certificate, you don't stand much of a chance.

For the cost of a certificate a wise person would have it done on a change but agreed, it is not required by law.

I do a full periodic on a property being let for the first time.

But when the same property comes up for change of tenant in just 6 months time, I rarely do a full periodic. I just do a visual inspection to make sure nothings been tampered with, and basic checks from the CU like IR and ring continuity. I see little point repeating r1+r2 etc so soon after the last full test if there's no sign if anything being touched.

As always it's your judgement what is needed.

I do a full periodic on a property being let for the first time.But when the same property comes up for change of tenant in just 6 months time, I rarely do a full periodic. I just do a visual inspection to make sure nothings been tampered with, and basic checks from the CU like IR and ring continuity. I see little point repeating r1+r2 etc so soon after the last full test if there's no sign if anything being touched.

As always it's your judgement what is needed.
Agreed you do the same as I do as long as the letting agent has his paperwork both he and I are covered.

Your Letting Agent seems to be one of the better ones Bwy. I too have a house here that we let out. Luckily to date haven't had any bad ones as far as tampering with things and systems. But i can sure see the implications of having such tenants!!!

I have a good friend here, that looks after things for me while i'm out of country. He too has rental properties, and one of the things he does is contact the leccy/telephone companies, and local authority to inform them when a tenant has given notice of leaving. This puts the onus on these companies to collect any unpaid bills and not on the owner. Evidently, there was one tenant that tried to get away with not paying his yearly local community tax, ....A whacking great 98 Cy Pounds at the time!!! But an official from the local village council visited the property a day before there departure to collect the outstanding tax, and didn't leave before receiving it ...haha!!!

Makes sense to be aware of these things and to cover yourself whenever possible!!!

thanx guys your experiences definetly help point me in the right direction, would any of you have any suggestions on my main water bond dilemma?

Your Letting Agent seems to be one of the better ones Bwy. I too have a house here that we let out. Luckily to date haven't had any bad ones as far as tampering with things and systems. But i can sure see the implications of having such tenants!!!I have a good friend here, that looks after things for me while i'm out of country. He too has rental properties, and one of the things he does is contact the leccy/telephone companies, and local authority to inform them when a tenant has given notice of leaving. This puts the onus on these companies to collect any unpaid bills and not on the owner. Evidently, there was one tenant that tried to get away with not paying his yearly local community tax, ....A whacking great 98 Cy Pounds at the time!!! But an official from the local village council visited the property a day before there departure to collect the outstanding tax, and didn't leave before receiving it ...haha!!!

Makes sense to be aware of these things and to cover yourself whenever possible!!!
Both meters in my property are on the Card Pay As You Go system and on change of tenant my agent informs all concerned, Electricity, Gas, Water, Council Post Office and anyone else they want to inform I only have to cash my monthly cheque.

Yes I agree with you, I have an excellent Agent but I still think the law should force an inspection of some description on change of tenant for rented properties including council houses as from my experience they can be just as bad as private.

Agreed you do the same as I do as long as the letting agent has his paperwork both he and I are covered.
i try to enforce PIRs but the landlords insist they dont need them ......

so i give them a visual report with some test results

any codes 2's are put in red on the observations page

its then given to the agency who take a copy then send original to landord stating there are items needing attention

if they dont come back thats their look out

im covered ,the agency is covered the landlord gets a 'report' not a safety certificate.

but lets remember a PIR is not a certificate its a 'risk assessment' on the day of the inspection you cannot make the landlord action you findings

if i am told the tenant has either done a runner or has been evicted then a PIR is a must

i lost a contract with a letting agency (whos owner had 40 properties of their own) because they said no electrical safety cert was needed.....

i just make sure that when i leave a property the smoke alarms are in working order.....

Latest posts