Learning how to wire central heating systems help

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackfrosty

Reaction score
Hi, a while back I finished college and have joined niceic as a domestic installer. Things are going pretty well but as I am trying to get work of other trades in my town I am worried about approaching plumbers because I simply didn't learn about wiring central heating systems as they said it didnt come up in exam which is stupid because I still dont know how to and I'm not sure how to go about learning how to. I dont want to look like an idiot when talking to plumbers either so how do I learn? Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks

Dan

Read the wiring diagrams. Think that's about it really, check the Drayton, Danfoss and Honeywell sites, and also search this forum as there are several threads asking the same thing.

most heating systems these days are fairly straight forward. combi with external programmer. simply a case of live to boiler, live out of boiler to programmer (via any room stats), and back to boiler.

its making S & Y plans from combis etc that starts getting complicated

I'd advise Herr Bartlett to call at Plumb Centre or Control Centre and pick up some wiring diagrams . Or look online at the different programer makers , Honeywell etc , download drawings . Most programmers will fit the standard baseplate sometimes with addition of a link or move a connection . All you can do is familiarise yourself with how they work.

Hello Dan, I presume you have noticed I moved this thread into the Central Heating section, I think it a more logical place.

Doc H.

Dan,

I was in a similar position to you, have a look on the honeywell site, they do a one day training course, costs

I'd advise Herr Bartlett to call at Plumb Centre or Control Centre and pick up some wiring diagrams . Or look online at the different programer makers , Honeywell etc , download drawings . Most programmers will fit the standard baseplate sometimes with addition of a link or move a connection . All you can do is familiarise yourself with how they work.
and then the plumber goes and buys something that you've never seen beforeX(

TBH as said above, they are fairly simple really.

the worst one I had was connecting up a combi oil fired boiler and a solar HW system together... the plumber had already plumbed the boiler as a "S" plan and left it to me to sort the wiring out without any diagrams for the boiler.. serious head scratching, but once the old grey matter kicked in I got it sorted in the end.

You may find it easier to use a Honeywell wiring centre to start with although generally most sytems I do would not fit into one as they have too many components. Systems seem to be getting more complicated but with experience it does get easier.http://www.uk-plumbing.com/honeywell-42005748001-wiring-centre-p-1484.html
I usually use the Drayton version which isn;t on a PCB, you put your own links in as required. Makes it easier to make your own non-standard versions, and on larger systems I just cascade boxes as required. Helps if you sit down and plan it all out first though either way.

most time clocks have a wiring diagram inside but there very easy once you know the sequence

Hi, a while back I finished college and have joined niceic as a domestic installer. Things are going pretty well but as I am trying to get work of other trades in my town I am worried about approaching plumbers because I simply didn't learn about wiring central heating systems as they said it didnt come up in exam which is stupid because I still dont know how to and I'm not sure how to go about learning how to. I dont want to look like an idiot when talking to plumbers either so how do I learn? Any ideas or suggestions?Thanks

Dan
Hello Dan.....

I have said this before (or something very similar), on the forum..

Central heating systems carry a sort of mystery about them with both electricians and plumbers thinking they are difficult to understand......

But as others have said already they are in realty quite a straightforward circuit arrangment.....

First get a couple of facts straight in your head:-

1/ If you can wire a light switch to get a light working you can most probably wire a heating systems...

2/ All that a heating control system consists of is a bunch of switches operated in series or parallel to get a load to switch on.

So why are they mysterious:-

a/ There is NO standard colour scheme for wiring a heating system system.

b/ Some may use various combinations of flexes 3core, 4core, 5core etc.. and/or 3core & earth flat PVC cable R,Y,B+E. Brn,Blk,Gry+E etc.

c/ Some of the switches are operated by temperature (thermostats)

d/ Some of the switches are operated at specific times (program timer)

e/ Some of the switches are attached to valves which put water down one pipe or another to supply Hot water / Heating

f/ Some of the controls are inbuilt inside a combi boiler.

g/ There are parallel switch paths to allow combinations of Heat and/or water to be on/off in any combination.

h/ A three port motorised valve is a bit of a sneaky device because it needs TWO voltages supplied to it when the water is OFF and the heating is ON to force it to fully open the heating only pipe connection. (bog standard two-port valves only need one trigger voltage to Open or Close them).

It really is just a matter of working out what do you want to switch at any particular time then identify which colours have been used on the cables between the individual components..

basic sequence down one path:-

Supply -> Timer -> Thermostat -> Valve -> Boiler!!!

i.e. a supply three switches in series then a load...

now duplicate that path so you have two banks of series switches wired in parallel with each other!

thats about all it does!

:)

I went on a Honeywell installer course too. Well worth

thanks for all your help, been doing a tonne of research and booked the honeywell course today, looks and sounds very good

Cheers guys

Let us know how you get on. How far from home have you had to go for the course, and how soon can they do it?

Doc H.

went on the honeywell course and a great help. The had demo boards of a central heating system and have to wire it all up. Very professional and everything well explained and would recommend, even came with loads of coffee and lunch!