Learning privately.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kli1

Reaction score
As I can not find someone willing to take me on as an apprentice, I have opted to learn privately. Anyone done this before? I'm applying through a company called "Access Trade Careers" www.tradecareers.co.uk They say they are highly recognized, this true?

Basically I get sent stuff and when I think I am ready, I go down to Cardiff to the training centre for a week where I am continually tested. This happens 4 weeks in total.

The guy that interviewed me said the fastest he's seen someone complete the course is 6 months:O This seems too good to be true!

The qualifications I come out at the end of it is:

Hi

I think i am correct in what i am about to put but please check further...

You are a qualified domestic installer not a qualified electrician. The electrician scope is far wider than this, hope that helps

recommend you visit niceic website, click on training courses select domestic installer scheme and try this route.

As I can not find someone willing to take me on as an apprentice, I have opted to learn privately. Anyone done this before? I'm applying through a company called "Access Trade Careers" www.tradecareers.co.uk They say they are highly recognized, this true?Basically I get sent stuff and when I think I am ready, I go down to Cardiff to the training centre for a week where I am continually tested. This happens 4 weeks in total.

The guy that interviewed me said the fastest he's seen someone complete the course is 6 months:O This seems too good to be true!

The qualifications I come out at the end of it is:

That sounds a lot of money. You will still need a lot of practical experience to become an electrician.batty
Yeah is quite alot, although I tried another company and they were wanting 7K. They say they will help me get an electrician mate job at end of the 2nd module(4 modules in total) so that can count towards some practical experience.

Hi kli1 Why not enquire at your local college as its at least half of the cost. Ok it takes longer, but You can pick up practical experience on the way with this route. It also means you are better prepared for commercial/Industrial electrics which to be honest is a damned sight better than house bashing.

Andy

Hi kli1 Why not enquire at your local college as its at least half of the cost. Ok it takes longer, but You can pick up practical experience on the way with this route. It also means you are better prepared for commercial/Industrial electrics which to be honest is a damned sight better than house bashing.Andy
Yeh got a prospectus from a college today, not 100% decided on whether I'm doing it privately or not.

Can someone confirm what City and Guild courses I need to do in order to become fully qualified?

I think I read on here somewhere that you need C&G 2330 levels 2 and 3, then you do the CG2382 then the part P, is that all? In the prospectus I got it does not have the CG2330? :| . I'm from Scotland, don't know if its different up here or not.

Yeah is quite alot, although I tried another company and they were wanting 7K. They say they will help me get an electrician mate job at end of the 2nd module(4 modules in total) so that can count towards some practical experience.
They'll also help you to empty your wallet.

Think long and hard about the route you intend to take, experience and more importantly, the desire to be an electrician (or any other tradesman) is paramount .

Don

Yeh got a prospectus from a college today, not 100% decided on whether I'm doing it privately or not.Can someone confirm what City and Guild courses I need to do in order to become fully qualified?

I think I read on here somewhere that you need C&G 2330 levels 2 and 3, then you do the CG2382 then the part P, is that all? In the prospectus I got it does not have the CG2330? :| . I'm from Scotland, don't know if its different up here or not.
We have a sub forum for this.

http://www.talk.electricianforum.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=30

Don

Then consider the full course...

Be patient our resident Wizard is going through the motions as we speak, he'll answer your questions for you, either later or tomorrow.

regards

Don

yeah this is the course reccomend you find out about it first try ringing the icon centre direct in bury manchester you will save yourself about

Kli1 you will need C& 2330 Level 2 and 3, 2382, 2391/2 (depending on what drugs C&G have been taking). There is no need to take the Part P exam according to my future 2391 lecturer as all of its contents are within 2330. On top of all that I am hoping to take 2391-03 (Old 2400) as I believe you can never learn too much.

Andy