Legal Advice, Non electrical

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Dane

Its been on of thsoe days...

Legal advice, any one good on this stuff.

I sent a parcel with a company "freight Search" back in Febuary 2009

They lost the parcel. well DHL did

DHL did all checks, searchs etc and nothing was found the paid me

Well mate,

I am no legal expert - But they should refund the cost of the item (You should prove the cost by means of receipt) and they should give you the full postage cost back too.

Did you have the extended warrenty? As many companies only insure to the tune of

Aww Gawd Mate. :_|

I hope that they sort it out for you very soon.

Keep us updated mate.

No good to you now, but, I much prefer to use "ParcelForce" So professional as a company.

u can afford it m8,

why did u not deliver it your self in the masarati ???

HAHAHAHA PMSL @ the plumber!

i can afford very little at moment! you know. hard times :)

Admin, Cheers.

I refuse to use DHL again since this situation.

Hey Dane, And to think John is you "Mate" too. :_|

]:)

Threaten to take them to court over the phone. I do it when i get taken the **** out of by companies. They send all these threatening letters about debt collectors and calling in full amount, then you get them on the (the person signing the letter) and explain to them the money means nothing you are taking them to court over principle and you would rather sell your nan than give up you soon get a different answer. Account now on hold no more threatening letters, as they 'want to give me enough time to get the correct legal advice'.

This is my experience of some ******* companies hiding behind contacts.

i cant get through on the phone, the claims department will not return calls, or accept calls. they are always too busy.

Threatened them with court, and they have had 2 letters from a soliciter. but they just dont care.

its got to stage where i cant be bothered to chance it, but for princaple sake i need to.

What about the online Claims court? And it will only cost you around

Be persistent. They will initially try to fob you off with part compensation or red tape to avoid paying. Just keep harassing them until they get sick of you.

i send them 1 or 2 emails per day

whats really got me

Is the email from them saying they will pay the full amount. and will be sending me a cheque

only then to get emails 3 days later saying basicly they changed there friggin mind!!

In my experiance they will try all tactics to prevent full payment, this is because they have learned that most people give in and take the lesser amount.

I would strongly advise you to get proper legal advise, this could be a free consultation with a local solicitor or through the citizens advise.

Barrack room lawyers, as most of us would be Blushing could not give you the advise that you really do need.

You never know you may through distress and discomfort be able to counter sue them for some extra cash.

i send them 1 or 2 emails per day whats really got me

Is the email from them saying they will pay the full amount. and will be sending me a cheque

only then to get emails 3 days later saying basicly they changed there friggin mind!!
I would have thought if you have it in writing that they will pay the full amount you have a bloody good case if it came to small claims court! An email has the same legal standing as a written letter.

File for small claims is an idea, but some judges won't allow you to claim the court costs, your time for court back, but some will?

Before I started we sent North Yorkshire Police a small claims summons :D They paid out of court.

Im a tad skint till next week now. So will be going down the small claims route. especially now i have an email stating they are sending me the full amount.

Apache, thanks for the info, Do you think a letter/small claims proceeding might get there arse into gear?

Im not a greedy person, i just want the money for whats been lost. i would accept the "

A customer told me CONSUMER DIRECT were good. I havnt rang them yet so cant comment but hopefully i will be calling them tomorrow, its free so maybe worth a try.

Im a tad skint till next week now. So will be going down the small claims route. especially now i have an email stating they are sending me the full amount. Apache, thanks for the info, Do you think a letter/small claims proceeding might get there arse into gear?

Im not a greedy person, i just want the money for whats been lost. i would accept the "

If it was me I'd draft a letter stating that you have an email saying that they will pay you in full and if a cheque for the full amount is not in your possession within 14 days of receipt of the letter you have taken legal advice and you will file a small claims court summons. I'd print out a copy of the email and send that.SEND IT RECORDED DELIVERY!

You can prove that you received their email but you cannot prove they received yours. With recorded post you can.

Good luck!
It would only need "SIGNED FOR" not recorded delivery,

Recorded delivery provides a level of insurance when sending valuable items.

"Signed For" purely requires a signature at the other end before the letter is handed over,

and you can go on-line to get record of date letter was received & who signed for it.

Personally I would always go "signed for" with a formal written complaint because you have categorical proof the letter was received..

An e-mail, may have never got there or gone to the wrong e-mail address!

Or if a PC is down at the other end may not be received for a few days!

(e.g. A side note: I had problems once with an item I had ordered, eventually after several days of e-mails, company said something about their site been dead for two days! I rang another business on the same industrial estate.. they confirmed it had been no power cuz some road digger had dug up a underground cable.)

So moral of the story..

Don't rely on e-mail..

Go snail mail & signed for..

costs about 80p on top of normal postage!

Other tips:-

1/ Find a specific name to write to NOT just the "complaints Dept"

or try the Managing director or Chairman addressed to the registered office!

(I did that once for a guy who had problems with a big DIY chain...

starting with 'H' not 'B';) got some freebies &