Light pendant

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JKA

Reaction score
Hello
A downstairs 5 bulb candelabra light has developed a fault that I am unable to identify - for some unknown reason, when I replaced the bulbs (to LED) the light now appears to be in series (ie each bulb getting dimmer!). No wiring has been altered. I swapped in another fitting that I know is working fine, and the same happened. I fitted the original elsewhere in the house and that, too, is working as it should.
Any ideas as to what may have caused this this, and how I might go about fixing it?
Thanks

Hello
A downstairs 5 bulb candelabra light has developed a fault that I am unable to identify - for some unknown reason, when I replaced the bulbs (to LED) the light now appears to be in series (ie each bulb getting dimmer!). No wiring has been altered. I swapped in another fitting that I know is working fine, and the same happened. I fitted the original elsewhere in the house and that, too, is working as it should.
Any ideas as to what may have caused this this, and how I might go about fixing it?
Thanks

Wired in series?.. Do they all stop working if you take one lamp out?
If less than 5 in any combination will still illuminate then they are definitely wired in parrallel...

As has been asked.. are these 230v or 12v lamp?
I am guessing probably a 12v transformer -vs- LED driver non-compatibility issue?

Thanks for questions:
  1. Original bulbs where 40w filament
  2. If I take out 1 LED, they all get brighter (take out 2, get brighter still and so on)
  3. If I use only 1 LED bulb, it's not very brighter (use it in another fitting and it's full brightness)
  4. If I use only 1 filament bulb, it doesn't work...

There hasn't been any alteration to the connections...
I'm not sure I know what induced voltage is - and what has caused this to happen?

There hasn't been any alteration to the connections...
I'm not sure I know what induced voltage is - and what has caused this to happen?

Induced voltage is created when a live cable runs parallel to another cable

It often creates enough voltage to dimly light a led light - but never enough to light a halogen bulb

So you’ve just swapped the light bulbs?

This particular pendant has been in place for years - but always 'got through' bulbs at a much quicker rate than any other light fitting in the house. Eventually the last filament bulb blew about 2 months ago, and we just used lamps instead. Decided last weekend to replace the bulbs (and could only get LED), and that's when I noticed the issue. I managed to get some replacement filament bulbs online (to check it wasn't an LED issue) and saw that they weren't working at all.
What can I do about the induced voltage (apart from lifting floorboards!)?

Latest posts