Lighting loops and consumer box...

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That might not be possible if the lighting circuits have a shared neutral. What that means is there's a neutral cable that's common to both lighting circuits and will cause tripping issues if on two separate RCBOs.

If the circuit trips out when a lamp blows then I would look at upgrading the existing device, I can't say what size of rating without looking at test results for the existing circuits. I don't suppose you have any paperwork that was supplied when the new board was put in or the EICR?
I only say that because previously they were.

There are several posts early in this thread explaining the current situation and the possible reasons it is now different. 

There are several posts early in this thread explaining the current situation and the possible reasons it is now different. 
Yes I have learned a lot from this forum, was this post meant for me?

Last edited by a moderator:
There is nothing wrong with new board. 
the issue is as been described. That needs sorting before you can separate the lights. 
Understood, I was just reporting what the electrician said today, do you think he is untrustworthy or incompetent? 

Just to recap, the shared neutral needs sorting via a new cable, but like I said the electrician said today that the extremely concerning consumer box issue needed sorting before he could worry about anything else... 

How long did he study the consumer because it is possible to take a casual glance and miss the fact they are rcbos, either that or he is stupid.

How long did he study the consumer because it is possible to take a casual glance and miss the fact they are rcbos, either that or he is stupid.
Straight away he noticed the shocking lack of an RCD, then he took the front off the box and examined the wiring, then took pictures to show to his gaffer...

Do you think I should call Matt Allwright lol?

Last edited by a moderator:
Straight away he noticed the shocking lack of an RCD, then he took the front off the box and examined the wiring, then took pictures to show to his gaffer...

Do you think I should call Matt Allwright lol?
All jokes aside, that is a common rogue traders storyline, ie. tradesman completely misdiagnoses the issue, missing the quite obvious fault... 

He's correct there aren't any RCDs but you wouldn't expect any in a board with RCBOs 

My recommendation is not to let him near your place again. 
unfortunately I have no choice, I just get who the letting agents send, and they're normally a bit Frank Spenceresque...

Ok so a new electrician has just visited, he was very shocked that the new consumer unit doesn't have something called an RCD??  He is now saying the whole circuit board needs to be replaced and he will talk to his gaffer... 🤔

get rid of them, they are clearly not competent and shouldnt be touching electrics

kerching said:
I don't think he is good enough to be classed as incompetent ......IMHO he is a W⚓

The  RCBOs that you have on EVERY circuit are far better and safer than any RCD ( they are actually an RCD AND miniature circuit breaker combined in one unit) if the W⚓️ Does not know how this then I wouldn't trust him to switch a light on

other opinions are available 
no other opinions required here! This is sound enough for me. 

Totally unnecessary language in my opinion.
So how exactly would you describe this electrician?  
I’m not talking excuses for him, if he can’t look at something long enough to determine it’s status but can comment without a doubt in the same time then I’m sorry but it is this behaviour that gets the trade a bad name. ? 

So how exactly would you describe this electrician?  
I’m not talking excuses for him, if he can’t look at something long enough to determine it’s status but can comment without a doubt in the same time then I’m sorry but it is this behaviour that gets the trade a bad name. ? 
I don't know him to base an opinion.