Likely questions etc for Electrician's interview?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

russ9898

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Ive just found out ive been shortlisted for an interview. Now the last interview i had was for my apprenticeship 6 years ago. Ive never actually had an interview as an Electrician. Ive been told the interview will last upto an hour and will be competency based questions.

I know alot of you on here are incredibly experienced and over the years im sure will have been to a number of interviews. Are there any typical questions, likely scenario's that will be thrown at me?

The interview panel consists of 4 people. Maintenance Manager, Head of Property Maintenance, Trade Operative, Human Resources Assistant. Quite a large interview panel. Wont do the old nerves any good lol.

Any tips and advice you can send my way would be gratefully appreciated. The company is quite a large company who are responsible for maintained council properties.

Thanks,

Russ

russ,

I've never been interviewed for a position like that!

I'm carp at these things anyway.

In fact I've not had a "propper" interview like that for probably 20 years, the last job I got, I was interviewed in a pub by one guy, with my boss to be, his boss (the interviewer) & myself having lunch, paid for by the big boss!

Haha. I guess that's the joys of large companies. When it comes to recruitment they have procedures in place. A chat down the boozer while eating a nice steak pie sounds a much nicer way to be interviewed. I honestly don't know what to expect in the interview. I presume there will be some questions relating to a scenario e.g. call to property with no power how would you trace the fault. However i could be completely wrong and it could be all about customer relations. ?:|

That WAS a large company!

Interview was in early 2000.

In 2001 Indramat employed 1,500, with a turnover of 261 million Euro. Exports constituted 52% of the business.

Based in Germany, I was employed in the UK division, at that time, the reporting line was, my boss, his boss, UK Divisional Director/German board, UK MD.

When I finished it was, my boss, German board/UK MD & was part of the Robert Bosch group.

All interviews for any position in any company are about SELLING YOURSELF....

nothing to do with trying to learn typical questions & answers...

1. Most interviewers have made a decision within the first 2 minutes of a meeting...

so remember:-

"FIRST IMPRESSIONS CARRY A MASSIVE SWAY IN OPINION MAKING..."

you need to stand out as a polite, smart, individual with something to offer the company you are wanting to join...

2. What are your positive points...

what have you got to offer your prospective employers?

qualifications are helpful.. but experience is a bigger factor normaly...

3. Research the company you are applying to on the internet..

find out what they do..

how long they have been in business..

what is the company structure..

Is it team work?

or working alone out on the road?

are you versatile and flexible for unforeseen changes of your working day due to breakdowns, emergencies, other staff off ill etc..

4. Try to get some thoughts about how you can fit into this employers business structure..

then sell those points to the company..

don't wait for them to ask all the questions..

5. Think of at least two questions you want to ask your prospective employer..

(NOT how much you will get paid, rather other work related questions)

Helps you to show a keenness & interest in where you hope to work..

e.g..

If you were to be involved in testing.. you could ask about the types of test equipment they use?

do they provide kit? or are you providing your own?

what make megger/fluke etc... etc...

Its about opening up conversations with the interview panel

awe...

nope me brain has just gone empty now...

need to fill it back up...

GuinnessGuinness

so I will just say..

Good Luck Russ! :)

Ive only ever had 3(I think) proper interviews in my life,

the job I have now wasnt even a proper interview, it turned into a farce when the realisation hit the big boss that I knew more and had more widespread experience than the guy interviewing me, :D

sorry I cant be any more help.

Thanks SL. That is a truly excellent post.

All interviews for any position in any company are about SELLING YOURSELF....nothing to do with trying to learn typical questions & answers...

1. Most interviewers have made a decision within the first 2 minutes of a meeting...

so remember:-

"FIRST IMPRESSIONS CARRY A MASSIVE SWAY IN OPINION MAKING..."

you need to stand out as a polite, smart, individual with something to offer the company you are wanting to join...

Im hopeful i should have this covered. I can generally hit it off with anyone. Im always concus in Interviews/Formal meetings to stand up straight, not to slouch when sitting, always shake hands and the biggest one make eye contact with the person speaking and acknowledge them. Body language counts more than words, especially when dealing with HR types.

2. What are your positive points...

what have you got to offer your prospective employers?

qualifications are helpful.. but experience is a bigger factor normaly...

This is what i consider to be my stumbling block so need to pay particular attention to in my preparation. Ive only been in the game for 6 years. 3.5 as an apprentice, 2.5 qualified. What i have had in this time is a mound of experience with alot of variety ranging from your usual domestic work to fire alarms in listed buildings, intruder alarms, commercial heating control gear and emergency lighting just to name a few. As well as working with most if not all of the mainstream wiring systems. Singles in galv conduit/trunking, T&E, FP200. Only installed MI on my AM2 but have had to joint it/repair it in the past.

3. Research the company you are applying to on the internet..

find out what they do..

how long they have been in business..

what is the company structure..

Is it team work?

or working alone out on the road?

are you versatile and flexible for unforeseen changes of your working day due to breakdowns, emergencies, other staff off ill etc..

This is hopefully another strong point for me. The company im applying for are the landlord and maintenance team for all council owned housing in the area. I currently work for another local councils joint partnership contractor and was TUPE'd across to them from the council during a merger. So in many respects i have an insight and experience into their business. I would say im versatile, ive been thrown into several difficult situations and had to work my way through them. Whilst ive only been in the game a short while my experience has been quite extensive.

4. Try to get some thoughts about how you can fit into this employers business structure..

then sell those points to the company..

don't wait for them to ask all the questions..

Another point well made. I think it shows an interest in the company if you fire the occasional question back to them as well as allowing yourself a couple of minutes breathing space while they answer.

5. Think of at least two questions you want to ask your prospective employer..

(NOT how much you will get paid, rather other work related questions)

Helps you to show a keenness & interest in where you hope to work..

e.g..

If you were to be involved in testing.. you could ask about the types of test equipment they use?

do they provide kit? or are you providing your own?

what make megger/fluke etc... etc...

Its about opening up conversations with the interview panel

Haha. Pay was stated in the advert. One question i have is regarding whether my local government pension would be transferable to them although that would have to wait and be asked if i were to be offered the job.

I would like to ask them if generally the work they do is lone working or teaming up with other members of staff on larger jobs etc.

Is it acceptable to ask what their working hours are? The job is listed as 37 hours per week + being on a callout rotor. Hours aren't an issue for me it would just be nice to know if everyone works 8-4 or is it staggered. Some on 8-4, others on 10-6 etc. Frequency of callout shift

awe...

nope me brain has just gone empty now...

need to fill it back up...

GuinnessGuinness

so I will just say..

Good Luck Russ! :)
Thanks again for your feedback :)

Ask them about 'advancement' future training etc

Do NOT walk in and say 'Hi' say 'Hello, pleased to meet you' if you can, shake hands with them [if it does not look to pushy]

Do NOT call them 'Mate'

Do NOT use 'Street Talk', or chew Gum, or constantly scratch yourself, sniff, F4rt, etc etc. Really, I have interviewed 100's and had all of the above and much more

Best of luck.... :coat

Ask them about 'advancement' future training etcThats an excellent idea. Shows longterm interest both in the company and your career with them.

Do NOT walk in and say 'Hi' say 'Hello, pleased to meet you' if you can, shake hands with them [if it does not look to pushy]

Do NOT call them 'Mate'

Do NOT use 'Street Talk', or chew Gum, or constantly scratch yourself, sniff, F4rt, etc etc. Really, I have interviewed 100's and had all of the above and much more

People really do that? Barmy. Best behavior on an interview as far as im concerned. All of your do's and dont's listed above are exactly as i would do in an interview situation.

Best of luck.... :coat
One last question, what do you consider appropriate attire for an interview as an Electrician? I dont want to turn up looking scruffy now do i want to look to smartly dressed and look the sort who's unwilling to dig in and get his hands dirty.

I was personally thinking black shoes, black trousers and a smart shirt but probably without a tie just have the top button undone.

Don't forget to be enthusiastic, both about being an electrician and the job you're applying for. I know it's not an easy thing to do, but appearing relaxed is a good idea.

One other thing that springs to mind is that you should let them know that you are a good communicator - I suspect working for a company like that would involve stroppy tenants, bureaucratic council workers and trying to keep the two happy. You should let the interviewers know you have thought about that.

Oh, and don't forget to turn your phone off!

I was personally thinking black shoes, black trousers and a smart shirt but probably without a tie just have the top button undone.
That is a good question Russ9898, I am not sure of the best answer 'Smart-casual' or 'Smart-Smart'. Gut instinct Smart casual should be acceptable, as you say dark shoes, dark trousers. Maybe a short sleeve shirt? As to my personal taste no-tie looks better with short sleeve's than long sleeves? Do remember to let us know how you get on please. Hope it all goes well for you, but even if you don't get the job remember the extra interview experience is always a help.

Doc H.

Some good answers there, I'd add that someone who is pleasant and well mannered is half way there .

Things are different these days so my two only interviews don't really count, I am , of course , going to relate them anyway.

Changed firm half way through apprenticship, boss says "Can you drive?" " Yes" " Good start Monday"

The other one , Boss says" Where did you do apprenticship,?" " Walker Bros" "Ah So did I, read off this colour blindness chart thingy...... right start Monday"

All other jobs we just produced our JIB Grade cards and that was it , if you were carp they got shut of you later. Most questions were " Any good at Pyro" or "Can you nail a bundle of steel conduit a day in for me ?"

Russ - in terms of transferring your public sector pension scheme to your new employer, normally this is a bad move as you would be swoping a final salary scheme guaranteed pension into perhaps a money purchase scheme and it would be rare for this to be advantagous for you, seek financial advice before making such a transfer. I had 2 NHS nurses who had been advised to stop their NHS pension schemes and start personal pension schemes and I secured over

as far as questions go I would expect to have the typical 'what would you do if...' scenarios as well as the often asked 'why do you want to work here?' and 'cos its really good money' is never the right answer.

This may sound out of order, but if you have visible tattoos, try your best to hide them
IMHO it is out of order, discrimination springs to mind

and some companies have banned them if they can be seen in normal attire
that is illegal,

they can only ban offensive markings,

most normal tattoos would not fall under that category.

:- yes, I have a few, some visible, depending on what I am wearing, or haircut I happen to have, ;)

what were her tattoos though?

and she musta had a rubbish lawyer, probably no win no fee type.

I have never had any issues, apart from the usual, I see you have tattoos, to which my standard reply is,

'yes, but nothing offensive or political',

and most of mine are pretty faded into a blur now anyway, :| , well the visible ones anyway.