Lil tickle today, ouch.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

killswitch

Reaction score
..So that's why we practice safe isolation procedure, i remember now.

Got a right little jangle from lighting cable.

I was halfway changing the fitting. Two hall lights were on, and i flicked off both lighting circuits at the board, both lights are off - thats them isolated me thinks.

..ouch! etc.. turns out this 1 light is fed from a 1 way cu under the stairs cupboard, before the main cu. Oh, and the lamp went out cos the weight, unsupported, pulled out the neutral terminal.

Felt a bit lazy and dumb.

They're much maligned but I think neon testers are great for situations like that.

I remember working on a lighting circuit in a factory, just a quick job, so I only switched the room lights off. Put a bit of tape over the switch, mind, assuming that nobody would switch it on. Most people didn't. But the dozy ******** manager saw that the room was in darkness...

What made it worse was that I'd specifically told this idiot that I wouldn't isolate the circuit at the board so that the other rooms wouldn't be in darkness.

Moral of the story? Look both ways when crossing the road. Or something.

They're much maligned but I think neon testers are great for situations like that.
I can't even begin to start with the poor argument you put up for the most dangerous piece of equipment ever invented.

I can't even begin to start with the poor argument you put up for the most dangerous piece of equipment ever invented.
Definitely much maligned. :^O

They're much maligned but I think neon testers are great for situations like that.I remember working on a lighting circuit in a factory, just a quick job, so I only switched the room lights off. Put a bit of tape over the switch, mind, assuming that nobody would switch it on. Most people didn't. But the dozy ******** manager saw that the room was in darkness...

What made it worse was that I'd specifically told this idiot that I wouldn't isolate the circuit at the board so that the other rooms wouldn't be in darkness.

Moral of the story? Look both ways when crossing the road. Or something.
I wouldnt leave home without mine,

(maybe that just proves what loadsa people think about me anyway?)

the only much maligned piece of equipment in the workplace is intelligence, or assuming people have it.

VOLTSTICKS, hate them, my legs must be at 415v according to some of them.!

oh, the most important thing here is,

NOTHING will ever tell you 100% that a circuit is dead,

it will give you an indication that a voltage or current is present,

NOT that it isnt.

many new testers will tell you if something is live with just one probe on conductor. why make youself part of the test circuit when there is an easily available tool to do the job without risking your life.

Safe isolation is one of, if not, THE most important aspect of this work.

God knows how many times it gets drummed in, when learning and when working.

There is NO excuse not to use lock offs (or pull fuse and put in pocket), padlocks and warning signs

..So that's why we practice safe isolation procedure, i remember now.
Changing a pendant in a bedroom yesterday, knocked off 2 MCB's marked LIGHTING at CU. Voltage tester out, still live. Back down to CU, found MCB marked SMOKES, and guess what, yup that was the one that powered the bedroom lightheadbang.

Never trust what the labels say.

As i always say when asked the question "have you ever been electrocuted"....the answer is always the same...."no I'm still alive ....Electrocution.....is death through electricity".....but I also say ....."If you are a painter....you get a bit of paint on you.....If you are a plumber ...you get a bit wet now and again.....so if your'e an electrician.....you get bitten now and again.....the same as if you were an RSPCA dog handler.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've met the odd old timer whose safe isolation procedure is the wet finger on the cable!