loft light

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

derek13

Reaction score
hi all im wanting to add a light in my loft thought i would run it by you guys first!!!, im pretty sure its straight forward but just incase here goes: was thinking i would take a feed from my landing light which is just a normal pendant. up to the light position which again will be a pendant and take a twin brown down to the switch position in the loft also ??? does this sound ok to everybody????

any advice greatly recieved and appreciated!!!

p.s. cables clipped neatly to timber in the loft not buried in insulation

thanks guys??Guiness Drink

Just make sure your landing light has a permenent supply to it otherwise everytime you switch the landing light on/off so will the loft light.

cheers db!! in other words just make sure landing light is just not coming on at same time as another light and is on a radial?

thanks again!!

hi all im wanting to add a light in my loft thought i would run it by you guys first!!!, im pretty sure its straight forward but just incase here goes: was thinking i would take a feed from my landing light which is just a normal pendant. up to the light position which again will be a pendant and take a twin brown down to the switch position in the loft also ??? does this sound ok to everybody????any advice greatly recieved and appreciated!!!

p.s. cables clipped neatly to timber in the loft not buried in insulation

thanks guys??Guiness Drink
Hello Derek,

Personally I would take it from another light fitting say one of the bedrooms.

only reason being...

Depending upon how old the property is and how it was wired...

due to the two-way switching associated with hall-stairs-landing lights,

the landing light, may be off/or have a shared neutral with the downstairs light circuit.

Whereas the bedroom lights are more likely to be just a single switch off the upstairs circuit.

less area for later complications.?

BUT...

no problem doing it how you suggest as far as I can see? :) ;)

HTH:)

you could make it easier for yourself

as spesh says take t+e from bedroom light but go through your switch and straight to the light

no need to come back to switch

cheers guys take it all i need do then is join the neutrals in the switch??

Make sure you find the lighting feed and don't try to connect your loft light to a switched live.

The ****** just won't work................

I did that

then spurred off ring main using theory's suggestion

I used 1.5mm T&E...........

Latest posts