looking at getting an 0800 number. Should I get an 0800 or not???

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meady

Reaction score
Hi fellas, I hope everyone has had a joyful Xmas

I'm looking at getting a 0800 number in the new year. I'm looking at moving soon so the land line that I'm using isn't coming with me. I thought about going down the 0800 route to look a bit more professional plus I'm also looking at expanding the area I work in. The plan is to divert to my mobile. Has anyone done this and if so what sort of cost is involved?

You want to find out how many people call you from mobiles and land lines.

There are supposed to be plans afoot to make 0800 Nos. free from mobiles, don't know if or when it will happen though.

You want to find out how many people call you from mobiles and land lines.There are supposed to be plans afoot to make 0800 Nos. free from mobiles, don't know if or when it will happen though.
That's intresting. Maybe I'll wait until that hopefully happens. Most of my calls do come from mobiles and to be honest most people phone my mobile number before my landline.

Can't you get a recorded message put on your old line saying "This number has been changed to.........."

I know it'll cost a bit, but like others I avoid companies with 0800, 0845, etc numbers

I too avoid 0800 numbers like the plague.

A local number gives me more confidence [purely psychological as I know you can do funny things with the VOIP]

You can take your number with you assuming you are in the same area code. I don't even have a landline but I do have a geographical number which directs to my mobile. It is possible to make it look you are local but actually live somewhere else as you can buy numbers with any code you like.

Keep your old number and forward it on. I'm amazed how many still phone my old landline number and I move from there 4 years ago.

I tend to avoid the 0800 numbers too, I reckon people look for a local phone number or at least I do.

In a former life I used to sell non-geographic numbers (0800/0845/090 etc). My advice to trades would be to forget non-geo numbers altogether unless you are a multi-million pound company such as SEC / EON etc. IMHO the average Joe on the street wants a local company to speak to and 0800 no's can give the impression of a large, faceless organisation. Talk is cheap these days and nobody resents spending a few pence on a local phone call to speak with someone in their area. Sure, it may look good but it will only create problems for you and will actually discourage customers from calling rather than encouraging them and getting the phone ringing. I avoid ALL non-geo numbers now and especially 0870 numbers which cost you up to 10p a min (20 from a mobile) with the company making a fortune out of them. I even have an App on my iPhone which will give me the true geographical phone number of 0870 / 0800 numbers etc so it doesn't cost to call from mobiles.