Looking for 'touch' light switch for bathroom.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dibbs

Reaction score
Hi all.

The situation is that a friend is having their en-suite completely refurbished. It has its main ceiling light switched from outside as normal. They also want a wall light, separately switched, above the mirror. The problem is, they hate pull-cords - both beeg ceiling ones, and wee light fitting ones - and modern mirrors with built-in sensors are too clinical in design for their Victorian flat. They want to be able to fit their preferred style of bathroom wall light (probably 'traditional'), above what will likely be a timber-framed mirror, but will need a way to switch the light in a neat and discrete way. Currently there's just a perm live wire coming out the wall.

We're looking at some form of proximity sensor or remote switch, and the control unit for either would be fitted inside the wall cavity, covered, and then hidden behind the mirror, so fully IP protected - only the switch or sensor would be visible.

I have found two possible solutions - has anyone on here come across them or, ideally, used them? One is this wire-free, remote, self-powered switch, which is a neat idea, but it's large and clicky, and not ideal for their en-suite design. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0B6J5MKCH/ In short, it's ugly. Perhaps there's a neater or smaller version?

The other idea is a unit with a wired IR proximity sensor. In theory, all this would have visible is the wee round black sensor front: https://www.amazon.co.uk/BHIRH-250A-Patented-Voltage-100-240V-Intelligent/dp/B01H1GG62Q/ref=sr_1_5

The second solution is much neater, but it also wouldn't be obvious to new users what it is, if mounted on the wall. I guess, if the mirror frame is suitable, it could be drilled through there?

Any thoughts on these, please? Anyone fitted or used one? Any other solutions, or a nicer-looking variation of either of the above?!

They have pro sparkies and plumbers and builders there, but we just need the ideas :)

Many thanks.

Thanks - yes, I've seen them.

The main issue is the appearance, and getting a switch plate style to fit in.

Anyhoo, looks like they are now going for a mirror with everything built-in - dimmer, light 'warmth', demist - and then seeing if they can have it framed in timber :)

dpending on size of bathroom for zones, a normal switch can often be fitted. even though many 'electricians' think a normal switch must go outside or a pull switch...
I just never would! All that steam condensing... Urgh.