Timed switch/automatic shut off light switch, with L1, L2 and Com?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andeh1

Reaction score
We have a light switch for our garage in our corridor (before you open the door & enter garage), as well as a PIR. Idea being as you drive in/walk in the PIR turns the lights on. We also had a second light switch (intermediate) inside the garage.

Problem we have is PIR has a few second delay which is fine when you are driving in, but when you are stepping into garage ( 2 steps down into it) the light only comes on when you're at the bottom of the steps/about to get to the car.

An ideal solution would be a timer light switch, where you press it 'on' and it turns itself of after 5-10mins for the corridor before you open the garage door, then the 2nd garage light switch is an override for 'on' - when i'm working on the car etc, then PIR would then work for when you drive in.

Plenty exist for 2 wire light switches, but because of the PIR we have a COM - which is preventing me from finding one that is compatible.
(ie; https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01M25SSAI?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details)

Has anyone ever come across a switch like the above, but which includes a 'COM'?

Many thanks,

its either the L1 or L2 you don't need, why would you need a two-way time lag switch ( the timer will turn off the light anyway)
the timer connects across the pir live in and the pir live out

Thanks poni, I presume because we have 2 x switches then the PIR, ideal being one is a time lagged switch (what I'm looking for) wired into a normal switch ("manual On") then the PIR.

Just a time lag switch away from my vision of it working perfectly! Until then... Garage lights left on from kids and wife turning it on as they walk into garage then not turning around and switching it off before they get in the car. :(

We also had a second light switch (intermediate) inside the garage.
I doubt that this is an Intermediate switch, most likely its two way
you could have all the switches wired in parallel, so the one in the garage(your Intermediate/two-way switch) will just turn the light on and off like any other room in the house,
the PIR across this switch so when the switch is off the PIR will turn the light on and off , then the timer switch connected the same way, so when pushed the light will stay on until the set time is reached,
the light would be on when any of the switches are activated and would go off when either switched off or the timer run out in the PIR or the time lag switch,

Just a time lag switch away from my vision of it working perfectly
don't give up on your vision so easily

Latest posts