Looking for work as a casual domestic installer with a qualified electrician

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
somebody asking for a job has turned into an interesting thread, I had the same problem wanting to change career at 37 to become an electrician. Couldn't decide short course or college, didn't have a clue, anyway decided college route, loved it from the first day 3 years 2330 all distinctions, am2, nvq lvl3, 17th, 2391. I worked with two electricians free of charge for experience who were a joke but i stayed to get my nvq level 3. I now have all the qualifications i need but i am still learning and probably never stop i love it, The short courses deceive you, if i had of done them i would be back doing my old job. i now work for myself, domestic & light commercial, my only regret was i hadn't done it sooner, as i would have liked to worked in the commercial & industrial sectors. I also agree you must work out of your comfort zone you'll never learn. The electrican i worked for wouldn't touch a storage heater, a bit of advice from the lads on here and i've repaired 5 in a few months this is where the training comes in & a quality forum. I still now dont class myself as an electrician as i still have much to learn. And i understand why forum members react this way and its not your fault its the idiots that provide short courses promising the earth. I do see a lot of posts undermining domestic electricians as commercial and industrial are the real electricians, but i have to disagree i have seen the state a commercial & industrial spark made of his own house it was horrendous so there is place for everyone i believe. I am now thinking of doing a level 4 course in electrical engineering not for the career aspects just because i want to learn more. As i build my business hopefully in a few years i will be taking on sparks and i wouldn't entertain anyone who didn't have the correct qualifications. I got a call from a guy who was in the army done the short course i have known him school, called me out to a property where he was being paid for work panicking because the customer had no downstairs lights when he had fitted a new light fitting, it's a long story but he had been there for 4 hours trying to get the lights back on i had everything working in 5 mins, which was very basic knowledge. I got him out of his predicament without any embarrassment, he is now doing a short course in plumbing headbang . Lastly out of 28 students at college in my class only 3 are working in the industry.

After reading thread, and alert asking if I really need to revive the thread “hell yes”

i was was under the impression these kind of forums where to get advise and help,  looking back to question one,  for me reads, want get more knowledge of the trade and I know a bit more than your average labourer so you wouldn’t have to babysit me,

got wife 2.4 children a mortgage and one of those silly looking pug dogs, anyone got a bit of work going or can point me in the right direction!!!!!!

OMG, some epic replies here 

brightspark79

do what you feel is best for you, as for the Dom installer course, they wouldn’t exist if was not use-full to some people, I am a gas safe gas engineer /plumber I went on the course so I don’t have to pay a sparky £280 to drop kick a fuse spur in when installing a boiler, or £365 to unscrew a tank element and screw in a new one, now I’m 3k a month better off 😋😎🤓

jeeessss, haters man chill out man

Well well a wet head that now thinks he’s a spark? 

No, you have gained a little (being the operative word) knowledge to assist you in doing your job. Would you be any good at anything else outside of that scope, designing circuits etc, NO, why because you don’t have the fundamental underpinning knowledge to do so. 

The OP was looking at being an electrician not playing at one, you my friend are what I like to call an acknowledged Diyer, knows enough to do the odd bit around the house but little else.

I’m sure you’d feel the same if I wanted to play at being a gas engineer, after all I have the knowledge and experience of connecting all boilers electrically how difficult is a bit of pipe work, piece of cake really but would I have all the correct training and knowledge to do so safely let alone all the required testing equipment to ensure compliance, so your advice is completely wrong for this particular thread. 

OK, I’m an industrial electrician not a domestic gas fitter. I trained at the Safety in Mines Research Facility to work on HP 100PSI gas distribution and control systems.

You’ve been on your 1 day electrical course, does that make you an electrician? Does working on HP gas systems make me a domestic gas fitter?

Neither of them do.

30 years ago Germany went down the road of multi skilling and found out it didn’t work. Jack of all trades, master of non.