Lost rope end

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

revor

Reaction score
I have inadvertently lost the end of a rope threaded through 50 mm civils ducting length about 11 M with a 90 deg elbow either end. Run is straight. What is best way of getting the rope through. Have a couple of sets of flex rods but the end gets stuck on the joints in the pipe. Have got a compressor is it possible to blow something through like a fishing line to get a start. Bet someone got a solution to this.

Thank you.

Tie a plastic bad on to a new rope. Put the bag end down the duct. Then get a leaf blower and blow away. 

main options pretty much covered above

compressor and bag tied to end and blast it through (you will need a decent CFM though) or vacuum on the other end and suck it through (or both)

drain rods

cable rods

or cobra

for 11mtr if its straight, id go with cable rods first

Sorry I did't register your post.  :Blushing

Those wheels can be bought separately and will fit standard rods. :)  

If the rope is still in the duct AND there is nothing else in the duct, then..

length of suspended ceiling wire with a bit of a hook at he end, cordless drill.

put wire in drill chuck, whizz drill in and out of duct. If you are praying to the correct god then wire will wrap around rope and you can pull,it out

if not then any of the above should work

just always securing my draw rope at both ends

I Saw an alarm bloke using my method( he was copying me)

duct was not empty

tears ensued

same bloke...lets call him W⚓️.....wanted to get a cable through a hole and there was not enough space. So he drilled ALONG side the existing cable in the SAME hole. Problem was that it was not a cable but THE MAIN FIBER.......there was much gnashing of teeth by the management when it downed the complete site until I had stopped laughing, driven to,sitemand repaired it :slap

If the rope is still in the duct AND there is nothing else in the duct, then..

length of suspended ceiling wire with a bit of a hook at he end, cordless drill.

put wire in drill chuck, whizz drill in and out of duct. If you are praying to the correct god then wire will wrap around rope and you can pull,it out

if not then any of the above should work

just always securing my draw rope at both ends
Ive done this before myself. Only i wasnt as fancy as you. I had a 6mm pvc single stripped back and bent round in a hook, and instead of using a drill i was just using my arm to wind it round like an oldtimer cranking an engine.

Ive also done this to get a fish tape that was too short to make it to the end of a conduit run.

Many thanks to all some really good ideas there. Now know what a cobra is learn something new every day.Tried the wire in drill first as that was most convenient tool wise but cord disappeared to far . Discussed with the wife who suggested I use a partially inflated balloon which followed by the string tied to the neck and an industrial vac on the  brought the line through in no time. Problem was it brought a load of water with it also. So problem solved thank you all. Should have asked the wife first as no doubt she will remind me from time to time.

Many thanks to all some really good ideas there. Now know what a cobra is learn something new every day.Tried the wire in drill first as that was most convenient tool wise but cord disappeared to far longer wire required then?. Discussed with the wife who suggested I use a partially inflated balloon which followed by the string tied to the neck and an industrial vac on the  brought the line through in no time. Problem was it brought a load of water with it also. So problem solved thank you all. Should have asked the wife first as no doubt she will remind me from time to time.
It is rare for draw ropes to disappear on their own, very rare, as rare as a straight 70s TV personality ( even if they have now had all,charges dropped)

i always leave far too much rope at each end AND tie it off in at least 2 places.usually a couple of clove hitches around duct end. Gaffer taped to duct end and wrapped around a lump of wood as well

just saying

It is rare for draw ropes to disappear on their own, very rare, as rare as a straight 70s TV personality ( even if they have now had all,charges dropped)

i always leave far too much rope at each end AND tie it off in at least 2 places.usually a couple of clove hitches around duct end. Gaffer taped to duct end and wrapped around a lump of wood as well

just saying

I never knew it was illegal to be gay?