Ltd Company

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steptoe

of course Im wrong, ask my wife™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if I search companies house for a limited company and use the name I want for my ltd company and its not on the first page does this mean that name is available?

or am I being very basic and stoooopid.?

ie,  alberts sparks 

Ive just found the box to tick to check names,

I cant have my existing name, its TOO similar, but have some others that Id be happy with,

so its just a matter of settling on the one I think is easier for a customer to remember.

ok, no one with an exact name match, but, if I have services in my name it says NO ,

if I change it to solutions its fine,  :C

the only one name that came up as similar does not have either in its name, the initials are the same, 2nd word is plural, and I have a 4th word, how is that similar?

the mind boggles.

:shakehead

never mind

It's one reason some people use a place in the name

Albert the Spark (Preston) Ltd
ah, you know I had thought about that,

but I dont really like it,

I think I'll just change it to Solutions [was Services] , still dont see how they make a difference between them, the other one doesnt have services in its name either.......

Thought about Ltd many times but don't see enough reasons for it and have been a Sole Trader for the last 28 years.

Some say if your Ltd you cannot lose your house if you go Ti*s up, however banks will pursue you as a director, so I am told.

You as far as I know have to have audited accounts (big bucks) and also pay corporation/company  tax as well as your own personal tax.

I know there was a loop hole 5-7 years ago which made it very beneficial but they soon stopped it and moved the goal posts.

So after 28 years is it worth looking into.

Being persued as director is very different to losing your house. I went Ltd to avoid potentially losing 20 years hard work for me and the wife, should the apprentice I had just taken on do something daft and burn something expensive down, like a block of flats. There are some tax benefits aswell.

my accountant tells me to go LTD for tax reasons.  The only draw back he says is that his fee doubles!  Sounds a bit biased to me!

my accountant tells me to go LTD for tax reasons.  The only draw back he says is that his fee doubles!  Sounds a bit biased to me!
Well I think it more than doubles from what I've been told, and as for tax benefits are we sure, 5 years ago I was told it could save me but then 3 years ago I was told probably not.

Wholesalers would be more likely to lower credit limit if Ltd, and banks with their O/D limits, hence why I'm still a sole trader.

Positives and Negatives, but which is the winner ???

my sole/main reason for looking into going ltd is subbies and invoicing,

as I tried to explain to a friend last night I have been offered a contract with a firm I do subby work for, this would mean me having to take on a team[maybe 2] of subbies, the primary firm only want 1 basic invoice that they either deduct 20% off, or pay in full, they do not want split invoices, they already have that are are wanting to restructure their whole payroll/admin dept, all invoices as of next tax year will either be stopped 20% or nothing.

cutbacks I would assume.  :|

currently all my work for them [whether maintenance or installation] is stopped 20%, I dont mind as its less tax bill for me to worry about end of year,

but if I had subbies after that then tax gets paid twice, plus it means higher invoices for the same subby pay, so, no longer competitive on price.

Steps - I don't follow. I have subbies I use and I hold an exemption certificate, so pay my tax twice a year, my subbies are 20%, so I pay them less 20% and submit their 20% to the HMRC.

I get taxed on my net profit for my accounting year, less expenditure which includes all labour.

When I invoice my customer its for a total sum and does not outline material or labour content as its a tender sum with interim valuations each month, it's not within my interest to let them know what part is labour or materials as that will expose my margins to other competitors.

Daywork or if it is a materials at cost + then labour, includes for my hourly rate, regardless of what I pay out.

If you have had tax problems in the past I understand its harder to get an exemption, and over the years due to my latish tax payments, which was out of my control I have had mine taken off me, but then appealed and got it back.

I do know a few contractors, that are 20% then 20% from subbies, but this in my mind is not the way to go, as you say tax is going out twice on the same sum of money, although I have heard people say that they put the labour down as expenses/materials, so do not pay tax twice, don't see how that works though.