Lutron Homeworks

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sammers230

Reaction score
I am currently installing a lutron Homeworks QS system to control lights in three different rooms of a house (please don't ask why only three it was put to customer about whole home but they didn't want it).

I have sourced the parts but to try and keep costs of programming down I am in need on the Homeworks QS software, without registering and doing a three day course lutron will not supply the software, it's a little pointless to spend a fair bit of money and time on the training course when this will most likely be the only time I install this system.

I was wondering if anyone on here could help or point me to where I could get it from. It has to be the Homeworks QS software as this is the system being installed, there are torrents for the older Homeworks illumination software online in places but that won't work programming the QS processor.

any help would be much appreciated.

Wouldnt there be copyright on such software?

Given that Lutron require you to pay for a course and the ensuing software, I would think its illegal to obtain it for free.

I really dont think the forum will condone anything illegal.

I have signed up to the lutron resource website but unless you have been on their course (which by the sounds of it they only tell you the basics for the software, it's mainly aimed at how to provide and select a system suitable to a property) they won't allow any access to softwares involved in programming the system. It's the whole scenario of it being a one off install and if it proves a decent system then maybe in the future if it arises again more experience with the system may be required. They just don't seem to want to help out as a sort of taster for their system.

Sinking the amount they want for the course just to gain software for one job doesn't seem very good as it's around £300 plus lost earnings for three days plus fuel and digs in London for the training. It would prove rather costly.

For me it's just help getting this system sorted whilst getting to play with somthing new.

the software is free from lutron you just have a be on a list of approved installers to gain access to it.

I have signed up to the lutron resource website but unless you have been on their course (which by the sounds of it they only tell you the basics for the software, it's mainly aimed at how to provide and select a system suitable to a property) they won't allow any access to softwares involved in programming the system. It's the whole scenario of it being a one off install and if it proves a decent system then maybe in the future if it arises again more experience with the system may be required. They just don't seem to want to help out as a sort of taster for their system. Sinking the amount they want for the course just to gain software for one job doesn't seem very good as it's around £300 plus lost earnings for three days plus fuel and digs in London for the training. It would prove rather costly. For me it's just help getting this system sorted whilst getting to play with somthing new. the software is free from lutron you just have a be on a list of approved installers to gain access to it.

Surely these costs should have been built into the job when you were pricing it up before commencing work??

I can't figure how any trades person.. in any trade .. not just electrical.. .

can start a job without first establishing the costs for the job... 

and agreeing price with a customer!

This is a new install isn't it..?  

not a maintenance fault finding investigation...?

So it can't be too hard to check costs before starting work  :shakehead

Either...

get customer to stump up more money..

or

do the job at a loss..

or

walk away from the job and cut your losses.

Last edited by a moderator:
This sounds to me like the model that Siemens use in the automation world. Charge £hundreds for the software to program their products, compared to other, more enlightened companies that give you the software for free.

I think personally if I had been offered this job, I would give the customer a simple choice, pay for me to go on the course just to get access to the software, or find someone else to do it.

The original installation was the grafik eye system which is publicly available and because the architect did not listen the job had to be upgraded and with the customer abit conscious to price etc the training course is abit late in the game to try and throw at them. I am only asking if anyone who is registered could help out. If this was the install planned from the start all training would have been factored in but it's turned to a job where someone has promised the customer something and the price jump for the upgrade was enough to have to wait for it to be cleared by the customer, all because orders being shouted down from higher up we're being followed without consulting actual costs or complications.

The original installation was the grafik eye system which is publicly available and because the architect did not listen the job had to be upgraded and with the customer abit conscious to price etc the training course is abit late in the game to try and throw at them. I am only asking if anyone who is registered could help out. If this was the install planned from the start all training would have been factored in but it's turned to a job where someone has promised the customer something and the price jump for the upgrade was enough to have to wait for it to be cleared by the customer, all because orders being shouted down from higher up we're being followed without consulting actual costs or complications.
scammers,

NOT YOUR problem the way you describe it.

This is NOT as original request/design/quote, thus the costs are passed on to the client.

(Full stop above, no more to say, their issue not yours.)

Canoeboy said:
I have had no good dealings with any architects - glorified draughtsmen who can't measure properly

:Blushing    :innocent   :pray    :C

Ohh   errr....

I have a VERY good relationship with a (prospective) Architect.......

My eldest Daughter just passed the first part of her Architecture course a Bath Uni (3 years + placement work)....

Now going on to do the next stage... two more years at Sheffield Uni..

(both Bath & Sheffield have very good reputations in the world of architecture)..

So I cannot possibly comment!!!!!!!!

So I'll just have another Guinness   Guinness   instead!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Two things,

Make sure she is not on your jobs

Make sure she is not on my jobs

You seem like a nice bloke, I dont want to fall out with your daughter,

More importantly, I dont want you falling out with her either.

Surely an option can be call in Lutron to commission or the person who designed.

We have done many installations where they use (god knows why) lighting designers, they normally insist on setting the scenes etc, so we let them get on with it.

hi Sammers

I'm a Lutron Homeworks QS programmer and may be able to assist.  Where is the project? I could let you have a cost for programming the system.

Latest posts