Magnectic Door Lock

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dean mac

Reaction score
hi folks my mate has asked me if can fit him a magnectic door lock at his shop,he needs a switch behing his counter to allow people to in and out of his shop,can anybody do a diagram of how it should be wired many thanks

A simple way to wire it would be:

mains supply (+ve) ----> under counter momentary switch ----> transformer supply (+ve) --------------> magnetic coil (+ve)

mains supply (-ve) ------------------------------------------------------> transformer supply (-ve) ---------------> magnetic coil (-ve)

Remember that the momentary switch needs to be a 'normally closed' (N.O.) type. :)

Personaly I'd put the switch on the transformer-out side.

No problem dean mac .

I did think about putting it on the output of the transformer to begin with, but then changed my mind. The main reason was because the transformer would be using electricity while nothing was happening.

I was thinking of a door entry system where you push the button to supply the coil and allow the door to open, so I was thinking of a normally open switch rather than a normally closed.

Also with it being normally closed it would be using electricity all the time while the circuit was live, whereas a normally open the circuit will only draw power while the switch is being operated. This would of course be dependant of the type of latching mechanism that is being used, ie. does it unlock when the coil is energised or de-energised.

Nemesis, I was thinking of an electromagnet arrangement on the door that would need to be de-energised to allow the door to be opened Similar to fire escape locks that only de-energise when the fire alarm goes off. Like these.

Were you thinking more of the 'door entry' system that uses an buzzer or videophone on the outside? Like this one?

Nemesis, I was thinking of an electromagnet arrangement on the door that would need to be de-energised to allow the door to be opened Similar to fire escape locks that only de-energise when the fire alarm goes off. Like these.Were you thinking more of the 'door entry' system that uses an buzzer or videophone on the outside? Like this one?
Yes, I was thinking more of the door entry buzzer system, lol. I didn't think of the electro magnetic type.

Yes, I was thinking more of the door entry buzzer system, lol. I didn't think of the electro magnetic type.
Be careful. If you have a shop with public access, the door lock must unlatch in the event of fire or loss of power otherwise people would be trapped in the building.

Be careful. If you have a shop with public access, the door lock must unlatch in the event of fire or loss of power otherwise people would be trapped in the building.
Yes you will need to fit a break glass at the door exit for emergencies and possibly connect it to the fire alarm so it will de energise in the event of a fire CJS

No problem dean mac .I did think about putting it on the output of the transformer to begin with, but then changed my mind. The main reason was because the transformer would be using electricity while nothing was happening.

I was thinking of a door entry system where you push the button to supply the coil and allow the door to open, so I was thinking of a normally open switch rather than a normally closed.

Also with it being normally closed it would be using electricity all the time while the circuit was live, whereas a normally open the circuit will only draw power while the switch is being operated. This would of course be dependant of the type of latching mechanism that is being used, ie. does it unlock when the coil is energised or de-energised.
plus wouldnt you risk a major volt drop if you had the switch on the tranny out side?

ok what is the voltage as a maglock has to be permanentley energised to hold the mag to the striker plate. 12 or 24 volts via a power supply always put the switch on the low voltage side. fail safe if mains fail also emergency release required near the door break glass box Geen colour.Push button behind countyer closed going open when pressed.

Check the current as this also stipulates what size power supply required.

If you do not want it powered all the time you would have to use a shoot bolt type of door release (more exspensive)

What type of door is it.

Bass is best.