Electric gates wiring - ok or not?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bethbrown42

Reaction score
Hi, I wonder if anyone can help - our gate fitter wired our electric gates into one of our internal plug sockets like this, with no spur switch or alternative fuse. Is this ok? He claims it is but an electrician advised otherwise - I need some help fighting my corner if this is indeed wrong / dangerous.
Many thanks
Beth

Attachments

• IMG_1753.jpeg
    IMG_1753.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 10
I wonder if the armour of that cable is earthed.
What size of protective device is it at the distribution board.

Dare I ask if he gave a certificate for the addition to the circuit?
Not yet. I have asked for one but he said ‘There is hand over certification which I tried to handover to you, you do not need certification for 24v feed.’

I take it there should be a certificate? Thanks

few pics of the gate and id probably list plenty issues with them. that bad wiring will be the least of the problems
Thanks - it has been a catalogue of issues, and we’ve not yet paid their invoice, hence trying to understand this issue better.

Not yet. I have asked for one but he said ‘There is hand over certification which I tried to handover to you, you do not need certification for 24v feed.’

I take it there should be a certificate? Thanks

his new cable, seemingly not fused is connected to a 230v socket,

so he’s talking nonsense

If it is 32A and assuming the existing socket does not have fuse protection you now have a multiple outlet spur.

No need for certificate due to 24 volt feed? I am assuming that this flex feeds a transformer. The gate may well operate on 24volt, but that doesn't detract form the fact that he has run a (1mm / 1.5mm ? ) flex directly off the back of a 32amp circuit, and I might add with no grommet. I would love to see the other end of this set up. Perhaps you could suggest that they sent a proper electrician to put the job right, or you get it done and knock it off their bill.