Main RCCB tripping on r1+r2

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So you don't do an R1+R2 when doing any PIR's ADS?
With you saying all Zs tested ok, I don't see why you needed the R1 + R2 figure - just seems a bit pointless. :)

I would do R1 + R2 on a radial if it was too awkward or dangerous to Zs test, but otherwise, no I wouldn't.

TBH mate I only do them if I can't do Zs OR, if there is another issue which requires greater investigations, or, they are small installs where they are easy to do, or IF the install is a "special" one where by there are additional requirements.In no particular order!
Thanks for that Sides i thought it was normal course of action

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 20:02 ---------- Previous post was made at 20:00 ----------

With you saying all Zs tested ok, I don't see why you needed the R1 + R2 figure - just seems a bit pointless. :) I would do R1 + R2 on a radial if it was too awkward or dangerous to Zs test, but otherwise, no I wouldn't.
Thanks ADS advice much appreciated and welcome.

I stick to R2 on perodics and zs at the point with the highest r2.

Why would i do an R1+R2 on live circuit,Lighting circuit was switched off.
Because you said you left the lights on to see.

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 21:23 ---------- Previous post was made at 21:22 ----------

Can anyone explain HOW to do an R1+R2 on a live circuit without "blowing" things?
RCCB would most likely trip before any MCB's. That was my point!!

old thread... Feb 2011..

resurrected yesterday....

Has Badger been routing down the in the archives again....

and teaching the young-uns how to resurrect the old threads??

Bet he had to VAX a load of dust of that one before posting!???

Guinness   :coat

Last edited by a moderator:
It was Rolf with his tripping RCCB that brought it back to life and looking at ways of taking the main RCD out and putting in a Fuse/main switch.

It was Rolf with his tripping RCCB that brought it back to life and looking at ways of taking the main RCD out and putting in a Fuse/main switch.

tie me kangaroo down sport! :innocent

Don't wake Sandra up he will be bringing the not mentioned thread up.

If I can find me torch i may go a routing down the forbidden corridor for that one....

was it the 7th door on the left?

or the 8th???

:popcorn