Maintaining Temperature And Humidity In A Gun Cabinet

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Word of warning on the dehumidifying crystals.......the ones that get as wet as Tulisa's handkerchief....not the silica gel ones.

I used some in my workshop to keep the damp out of the drawers that hold all my measuring/setting up gear for the lathes. Spilt some of the liquid onto one of the squares and a protractor...totally knackered it!   etched away the steel and no matter what I do I cannot get the surface rust off. Be warned

Ammunition for section 1 needs to be locked separately. I have 2 gun cabinets with separate locking boxes and 2 small digital safes for ammunition. Shotgun cartridges do not have any specific storage requirements, you don't even need to be in possession of a shotgun cert to have them. I keep most of mine under the bed.

Maybe bathroom mirror heating pads link, you could just stand the safe on top or stick the pad to the rear of the safe. Depending on safe size you could use those heating pads for people with muscle pains which might be even easier if they're self adhesive.

How about a humidistat and an ordinary light bulb? Humidity gets to a set point, 15 or 20W lamp comes on for a while, heats the air temperature and LOWERS the relative humidity...................You could also ask friends and family to donate all those little bags of silica gel that come in packaging nowadays and just remove and oven dry them once in a while.

Sodium bicarbonate...  aka 

Baking soda....  aka

Bicarbonate of soda.. 

Is better than plain old salt for removing both moisture and odors from environments where damp can build up...

Mrs SL swears by it...

and we always have some in our caravan when its not in use...

Which is just an enclosed metal box standing outside in the rain..!

Guess it would work just as well in your cabinet Patch.

:popcorn

Canoeboy said:
@Pache - Are they wired, working, any good ?
Not yet. Need to source some flex and boards to mount onto.

Hopefully will get ordered with CPC today and get it between Christmas and New Year.