Marking switched live cables

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blue Fox

Reaction score
Hi guys,

just a quick question, when marking switched lives on light switches and the like what colour sleeve do you use? Obviously on the new cable colours I would mark the switched live with brown sleeve, but what do you mark the switched live cable on the older red and black colours, personally I prefer red so it matches the rest of the wiring but I soppose it should be brown now??

I'm with Andyc on this - Red, on old cable colours.

:)

I use red on old installs. I still have a load of red sleeving to use up. Waste not want not was how I was brought up.

Batty

My preference is to used coloured insulating tape - the sleeving will likely fall off!

It's not something I can get that excited about - if I've got red for an old installation I'll use it - but brown will do nicely.

We all know what to look for - and for most installations you can work it out without the tape anyway. Just identify before replacing.

Red. The original sparks used red tape, but it has dissolved. You are replacing like for like.. ; \

If the physical cable is old colours, I use sleeves that match the appropriate old cable colours.

IMHO you don't mix colours on the same physical cable! :( :|

But I could put the big pants on my head if you lot prefer? ?:| :| :(

ive came across it to, two reds at switch, switch live marked black no requiremnet to identify as live as both red/brown but makes life easyer

I guess the object of the exercise is to identify cables that may or may not be live, and any of us would be able to do this given red, brown or bits of tape as a flag. It might matter if it's a job lined up for inspection, but as long as it's tagged so that anyone with knowledge of how it should be wired can identify a switched live then I don't really think it matters much as to what colour is used. Personally I'd go with brown and a mixed colours lable as that is what I've got on the van.