Max Ze

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sadly, there is a maximum distance between a TT installations earth rod and the supply transformer, I believe it is 50m according to my memory bank, this is why sometimes if a CU is placed at one end of an installation you have no choice but to put the earth rod at the other end even if the soil is pure solid dry sand, so putting a rod in the best most moist soil isnt an option.

I know that this is a joke, but Southern Electric pulled my bosses pants down once because our earth electrode was about 54M away from the supply transformer, even though if we had placed it as close as possible (about 30m away) it would have been in real poor soil, its just the way it is.

Im drunk at the moment.... so, if im wrong, as abit of a failsafe..... Iam sorry.... xxx Guinness

Sadly, there is a maximum distance between a TT installations earth rod and the supply transformer, I believe it is 50m according to my memory bank,
50m? Is this a typo, or the drunketedness?

Sadly, there is a maximum distance between a TT installations earth rod and the supply transformer, I believe it is 50m according to my memory bank, this is why sometimes if a CU is placed at one end of an installation you have no choice but to put the earth rod at another end even if the soil is pure solid dry sand, so putting a rod in the best most moist soil isnt an option.Im drunk at the moment.... so, if im wrong, as abit of a failsafe..... Iam sorry.... xxx Guinness
Never heard that one.

I did mean 50m, i swear.......... i'll check again in the morning but im off out now to get ****ed up...... :)

I used to live in dorset, proper random middle of nowhere TT installations.

I always thought that earth ie the ground was the zero potential like the minus on a battery but it is cider night.
Could you quote something as I can;t tell what you're referring to?

Unless the O/P was referring to the DNO spike on the TX? - can`t quite see THAT being right, either.....

50M? Oh, bother. I`m going to have to go back to every TT job I`ve ever done, find the nearest substation, and plot the distances...

Bet most of em (maybe all) won`t comply.

Uh-oh...

:)

KME

Latest posts