Maybe some help to bods when covering Light/Lux/Lumens/Candela/Efficacy etc..

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SPECIAL LOCATION

Trailer Boy - Electrician.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was just surfin the wider Tintersphere checkin up on some info regarding some Light level calcs for a job I am doing..

and found this link..

http://acl.co.uk/light_level.htm

It seams to be quite a nice little reference to loadsa bits associated with lighting, Calculations recommended levels etc...

May be of some help to someone at some stage........ :) ;)

(probably me when I forget what I just read.... Old git you know!!! :^O :^ O)

If not just ignore my ramblings and just skip past this post without looking! :coat

:|

I do like lighting stuff cuz you can say words like...

Flux! X( Efficacy! ]:)

They can sound a bit rude if you shout them loud enough and fast enough! ; \ROTFWLROTFWLBlushing:p

GuinnessGuinnessGuinness

:coat

I agree and a very good tool to use.

Most designs that I do, I use the free lighting software provided by the manufacturers.

Basically you type in the type of installation ie office classroom etc, then you type in the given data from the manufacturer, and it then tells you what lighting is required and how many, to give the minimum lux or lumen requirement, per application.

Mastication :D SL - better in useful links?

Applaud Smiley;)

Can be correct in both IMHO patch... :)

I did think useful links first....

But then I sort of remember a specific section of my C&G's where they go off on a lighting calculations sub-topic thingy...

So I though others at a similar student level needing to get their heads around all these Lux & Lumens etc.. terminology may find it quicker if its in the Student & Learning Zone!

:)

well thats my story... And I am sticking to it! ; \

I agree and a very good tool to use.Most designs that I do, I use the free lighting software provided by the manufacturers.

Basically you type in the type of installation ie office classroom etc, then you type in the given data from the manufacturer, and it then tells you what lighting is required and how many, to give the minimum lux or lumen requirement, per application.
Applaud Smiley

Its one of those areas that after learning at college..

If you are NOT involved in any design of a circuit,

or are predominantly domestic work...

you may well hardly ever get into any LUX calculations once your exams are passed.! :eek: ; )

Applaud SmileyIts one of those areas that after learning at college..

If you are NOT involved in any design of a circuit,

or are predominantly domestic work...

you may well hardly ever get into any LUX calculations once your exams are passed.! :eek: ; )

Actually that is very true, you have to have a basic understanding and like you say it is normally only in college that you would come across the calculations.

Again I think it is a very good post and one that has made me have another look, rather than load a software package and click a button :)