Mcb Or Rcbo

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i would still fix it, call me old fashioned. :)
Some may call you old fashioned.... :(

But I couldn't possibly comment!!!!! :eek: :^O:x

I would agree in an ideal world it would be good to fix it proper...

but if the customer doesn't want to pay...

the 20A mcb option is a safe & compliant solution IMHO..

I would offer the customer a quote for doing the full repair and leave it with them...

if it was a kitchen circuit I would push for proper repair as a priority...

but lounge? well let the customer decide what they prefer. ;)

i guess so .. i get a little peeved though no one has any money any more.

every one has sky and big tv`s and a new car on the drive but when it comes to maintenance round the home they try to scrimp and save, seems a crazy world we live in.

i guess so .. i get a little peeved though no one has any money any more.every one has sky and big tv`s and a new car on the drive but when it comes to maintenance round the home they try to scrimp and save, seems a crazy world we live in.
Concur with that point m8...

Theres a family i know.. friend of friend sort of contact..

done a couple of minor alteration jobs at their house..

I know they still have an old Wylex CU with BS3036 fuses...

I have given costs for replacing Cu many times..

but its still there..

yet that have spent bucket loads on redecorating..

log-burning fire..

new kitchen units etc.. etc...

lectrics... left as is!!!!!:(X( X(

Unfortunately some people tend to spend money on the things that can been seen and not the basics. I get annoyed when people spend thousands on a new bathroom but still have the galv pipes feeding it then they have rust coming out through the taps ridiculous.

Batty

You are worrying too much Ecasam, the circuit can only be loaded up to 20 amps. Two lounges will be fine. I think Mr JL is on a wind up . ; \ Worst case senario, 20amp MCB does its job and trips out, whats the problem ?

How many times have I fitted an RCD to an existing circuit , only to be called back to it tripping out !! "It never did this before you altered it " was the usual cry. Meanwhile I am now working for nothing trying to sort it, as they think its my fault.

Deke

Hi

I have a similar problem. I have just changed my CU, (ready for Elecsa assesment). On doing the tests I found one of the rings (mainly kitchen skts) without continuity on L&N, CPC is fine, I have tracked down which leg it is. But won't be able to repair it till after the assesment, so I am putting in a 20Amp MCB as a temporary measure untill I can.

Lesson learnt, make sure to do a full PIR before a change.

HiI have a similar problem. I have just changed my CU, (ready for Elecsa assesment). On doing the tests I found one of the rings (mainly kitchen skts) without continuity on L&N, CPC is fine, I have tracked down which leg it is. But won't be able to repair it till after the assesment, so I am putting in a 20Amp MCB as a temporary measure untill I can.

Welcome to the forum MalcyB!

Good luck with your assessment.

:D

Well at least ring continuity... before passing the point of no return (pun intended)

I'm sure that most of us have been caught out once.. and as long as its only once then its a good lesson :)

Would you buy the Missus a new car and then dismantle and remove the airbags to avoid the inconvenience and expense of them going off? No, chances are you'd be buying with one eye on safety and looking for a car with good EuroNCAP rating.

So, given that RCDs are the airbags of the electrical system, why are you all looking for reasons NOT to fit them? Surely the personal safety they bring is beyond the cost? An off board RCD in a 2 module enclosure is about

All you can do is advise that an RCD/RCBO is a good thing to have. Agree that there is nothing wrong with what you have done - situation improved - covered your back. Just a thought - if there are a couple of spare ways in the CU you incorporate an RCD there to save on a housing - and possibly re-jig the wiring to give protection on all rings.

Would you buy the Missus a new car and then dismantle and remove the airbags to avoid the inconvenience and expense of them going off? No, chances are you'd be buying with one eye on safety and looking for a car with good EuroNCAP rating.So, given that RCDs are the airbags of the electrical system, why are you all looking for reasons NOT to fit them? Surely the personal safety they bring is beyond the cost? An off board RCD in a 2 module enclosure is about

Sorry PC but where do you stop ? What about the other ring in the house and the shower and the lights. Replace CU ? IMO you have gone to attend to a fault on a 15th or 16th edition installation not to upgrade the installation to the 17th. I take your point and obviously it must be left in a safe condition but we are not the Electric Police. :| Deke
Or you could fit 30 of these - 1 to every single appliance

13 Amp RCD Plug

where does the madness end?

Or you could fit 30 of these - 1 to every single appliance13 Amp RCD Plug

where does the madness end?
Just at the back of Steptoes yard where some poor sod has to scoop up all of Hercules manure to put on Admins roses!!!

other than that we are all totally teapot crazy.. :p :p:p:p

and long may it continue!!! ; )Blushing:DApplaud Smiley] :) :|BlushingGuiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness Drink

Just at the back of Steptoes yard where some poor sod has to scoop up all of Hercules manure to put on Admins Bed!!! ; )Blushing:DApplaud Smiley] :) :|BlushingGuiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness Drink
Specs i cant believe that you can do stuff like that :^O :^O

Square D. He has lived there 5 years, board there when moved in. Never seen square D before myself.
Square D which type as if it is the older type the RCBO's can cost nearly

Assuming that the lounge was downstairs and so the sockets could be used to supply outdoor equipment then shouldn't they have been fitted with a RCD anyway, even under the 16th?