Measuring Energy Usage On Distribution Circuit

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cr0ft

Reaction score
Hi.  I'm putting together a quote for a retail outlet at the moment.  They have a requirement to monitor energy usage on one of their distribution circuits within the building (powering a small cafe).  I haven't been asked to do this before so can anyone point me to a reliable product?  Ideally something that clips on to a 16mm twin and earth cable and is plugged into a mains to power the device itself.  I've seen wireless versions but the owners won't want the hassle of checking it's still working or whether it needs batteries replacing.

Failing that just a meter than can accept 16mm twin and earth incoming and outgoing would be ideal, if such a thing exists.

Any advice greatly appreciated - I don't have much experience with these units and don't want to fit something rubbish!

Last edited by a moderator:
Contact your wholesaler for a suitable board with inbuilt metering, they have been available to meet building regs for some years now.

This is not a new requirement.

I lost a job, after, the (retrospective in this case) building reg came in because I quoted to meet the statute requirements and the other contractors did not.

Client went for the lower price even though they did not comply, they did not care!