Melted Main Switch

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
YES new consumer unit requires new Electrical installation certificate AND

a building regs compliance certificate..

as the work is notifiable under Part P building regs. :)
But since you are not ordering the work you may not get the certs so you may have to ask for them (or copies of them). EIC should be supplied at the end of the job (or very soon after). LABC compliance cert can be notified up to 3 weeks after then can take a bit of time comming out so 2-6 weeks is not unexpected.

The only thing I can think of that may have contibuted to connection failing is over tight bending of the meter tails trying to push main switch away from busbar. I've never been a fan of the Crabtree system, but I've also never seen this sort of failure.

what!!!and you didn't catch the bits!!!

tut tut Sir Ian!

thats a sure sign of a Lazy Spark!

A proper spark would have made a make-shift repair out of a pair of ladies stockings!

(oops was that Fan belts NOT CU main switches? :eek: :Blushing)

:^OROTFWLROTFWLROTFWLROTFWL
How dare you sir!

Who said I didn't huh its not amateur night hereWet Fish

I got the spring between my teeth and the metal slider between my butt cheeks, oh god medic!!!! just remembered the slider is still there :_|

:_| :_|

But since you are not ordering the work you may not get the certs so you may have to ask for them (or copies of them). EIC should be supplied at the end of the job (or very soon after). LABC compliance cert can be notified up to 3 weeks after then can take a bit of time comming out so 2-6 weeks is not unexpected.
i agree that he may not be given the certs directly (i only give them to person ordering the work), but the notes on the cert does say that the user should get a copy

i would say its still necessary to issue certs.... otherwise, every CU change would be 'distress change'

if you done a distress re-wire (i.e fire), you sitll got to I&T & give certs

I'll have to have a dig Andy, but I know I read this some time ago, and I think it was an NICEIC document. I have certainly used this in the past where old CUs have had broken covers / burn't out and installation is clearly dangerous. The main difference is how much testing of circuits you need to do.

Good old NICEIC regulations....

whether CU is changed as routine maintenance or emergency should have no bearing on amount of testing done to make sure its safe, and still requires EIC

The only thing I can think of that may have contibuted to connection failing is over tight bending of the meter tails trying to push main switch away from busbar. I've never been a fan of the Crabtree system, but I've also never seen this sort of failure.
Thats a good point...

Tails not properly formed and dressed into the main switch can distort and misalign the main switch assembly...! :|

Thats a good point...I do have some occasionally :^O

Tails not properly formed and dressed into the main switch can distort and misalign the main switch assembly...! :|
Nicely worded specs, I really should try harder myself :coat

How dare you sir!Who said I didn't huh its not amateur night hereWet Fish

I got the spring between my teeth and the metal slider between my butt cheeks, oh god medic!!!! just remembered the slider is still there :_|

:_| :_|
Of course!

:Applaud :Applaud:Applaud

I forgot the two methods in Guidance Note 9...

The Butt Cheek method is page 12, if I recall.... :|

was that amended for 17th?

?:|

where do you draw the line with this?

say it was a screw terminal, breaks down 9 years 11months after proper installation. Do you go after the electrician asking him how many Nm he tightened the terminal to, and he said 10years on the cert before next inspection, therefore his fault?