Metal detecting!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HappyHippyDad

Reaction score
I just wondered if there are any other metal detectorists here?

My hobbies are exercise, metal detecting and chess.... as opposed to drinking beer, 20 years ago :D

Today's find was an 1806 George III Penny. A day out walking in fields, woods and an orchard, whilst hunting for treasure :)

20241011_162603.jpg

My hobbies are exercise, metal detecting and chess.... as opposed to drinking beer, 20 years ago :D

Today's find was an 1806 George III Penny. A day out walking in fields, woods and an orchard, whilst hunting for treasure :)

View attachment 17147
Nice find Steve

Items like old coins fascinate me no matter their age. Where have they been what have they done, have they travelled the world in various pockets and purses or were they new and lost in a field on day one.

Items like old coins fascinate me no matter their age. Where have they been what have they done, have they travelled the world in various pockets and purses or were they new and lost in a field on day one.
Completely agree. My mind starts drifting to hundreds of hears ago when the coin was dropped. Why was it dropped, who dropped it. What were they doing.
On the same day I found a silver fork in an orchard. I started imagining a rather splendid and posh picnic from many years ago. It's a very peaceful but fascinating and thought provoking hobby.

I once detected a field I usually detect just beaches as I live close to the sea and have no permissions available near by.
I once detected a field and got lots of knives forks and spoons, all 20th century stuff and valueless. Turns out the local schools used to have the pig man round to collect all the food scraps and the kids used to scrape the plates into the swill bucket along with their cutlery!
I get mostly bullets on my local beach, lead fishing weights and lots of melted alloy scraps. A few gold rings in summer from cold shrunken fingers swimming. There were live firing ranges here in WW2 hence the bullets as they used to tow targets for the beach to try and hit.
I bought my detector because I fish as a hobby and get no exercise from that, so it was a dog or detector.

I once detected a field I usually detect just beaches as I live close to the sea and have no permissions available near by.
I once detected a field and got lots of knives forks and spoons, all 20th century stuff and valueless. Turns out the local schools used to have the pig man round to collect all the food scraps and the kids used to scrape the plates into the swill bucket along with their cutlery!
I get mostly bullets on my local beach, lead fishing weights and lots of melted alloy scraps. A few gold rings in summer from cold shrunken fingers swimming. There were live firing ranges here in WW2 hence the bullets as they used to tow targets for the beach to try and hit.
I bought my detector because I fish as a hobby and get no exercise from that, so it was a dog or detector.
Good detective work.
You've actually found the 'real' story behind your finds.

The only down side is my 52 year old back is now aching.
I can run, cycle and lift weights without issue, but a bit twisting and digging and the back says NO! 😄

I made a sling and attached a bungy cord, it almost carries the detector just above ground level. I also don't have to put it down when digging, it just sort of hangs beside me. I don't clip my arm into it either so when I let go it just sort of follows me ;)

I made a sling and attached a bungy cord, it almost carries the detector just above ground level. I also don't have to put it down when digging, it just sort of hangs beside me. I don't clip my arm into it either so when I let go it just sort of follows me ;)
Good advice, thanks.

For what it's worth................
Seen this bloke on YT looks on the beach, he has (For want of a better description) a very small excavator bucket (No, I really mean small) on a "stick" it's covered in holes, when his detector "beeps" he pushes his "bucket" into the sand with his foot and lifts it up, any water runs through the holes, he scans the hole, and repeats until the beep only comes from what he just excavated. Interesting.................for 5 minutes.

For what it's worth................
Seen this bloke on YT looks on the beach, he has (For want of a better description) a very small excavator bucket (No, I really mean small) on a "stick" it's covered in holes, when his detector "beeps" he pushes his "bucket" into the sand with his foot and lifts it up, any water runs through the holes, he scans the hole, and repeats until the beep only comes from what he just excavated. Interesting.................for 5 minutes.
My detecting buddy uses one of those. He loves it as it involves less bending down. He's 6'7", bad back and a heart condition, so any help is greatly appreciated.
I'm happy with my spade and trowel, at least for now. In another 10 years I may give it a go!

View attachment 17147
Nice Find.(y)
I was once told, rule of thumb whilst metal detecting , never to wear steel toe cap boots !!!:rolleyes::D

I was talking to a young lady detectorist in our local park a fe years ago. The park itself had been used to house American troops before D Day, so is quite popular with detectorists, as well as those just looking for lost coins. Her brother had found a large lead plaque with the name of Julius Ceaser's son on, which was sold to the British Museum. That must have been quite an exciting find!

I've done quite a bit of metal detecting but not over the last couple of years. I'm hoping to get back in to it soon though. I've never found a gold coin (yet) but my best coin is a silver Celtic Unit of the Corieltauvi tribe.