Metal Frame Ceiling

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seajayess

Reaction score
Hi quick question I know that if you run cables in a metal frame stud work wall it requires bonding, but what about metal framed suspended ceiling does this require bonding thanks CJS

Normally yes it does.

The frame could become live under fault conditions if bare cable became in contact.

The cable running in false ceilings should be supported throughout its length, because the extra wieght could bring the ceiling down.

They used to be bonded but I'm fairly sure that they are now deemed to be out of normal reach and nobody is bonding them these days.

Cables still need to be supported above them though. Not that many bother !!

This ceiling is not like the ones you get in an office as it has plaster board on it and will be plastered, and the cables are all clipped to the wooden joists CJS

In that case, as the metal is not going to be accessable there is no need to bond it .

yeah ive never bonded these metal stud walls, forget the name of the system now, but i think the cieling components have a bit called a top hat? company i used to work for just use to put a grommet in the top of the metal stud just as a precaution.

Hi, there is no requirement to bond suspended ceilings or mf ceilings, believe this was only in the 15th ed. regs. Metal stud work doesn't require bonding, but cables running in the stud requires to be run in the 'zones' and be rcd protected if less than 50mm deep or cables protected by steel conduit or the site has a 'competant person'.