Meter Tails Size?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thourgood

Reaction score
Wandering what size tails to use from the meter to my consumer unit.

The 2 way board has a 100amp main switch. 32amp ring circuit and 6 amp lighting circuit both on rcd

I always thought 63/80amp main switch use 16mm and 100amp main switch use 25mm. Just after a bit of clarity as I don't wanna be barking up the wrong tree.

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
i'd throw a set of 16s in,

but thats just me,

rough as f,,,,,,

what is the maximum demand on the tails?

then chose accordingly, the size of the switch has nothing to do with it,

if your 2 way board had a switch ratted at 400A what size of tails would you use?

I doubt you will be going DIRECT from the meter to a small CU with just 2 circuits will you?

It sounds like an addition to an installation, presumably teed off henley blocks into the tails feeding the existing CU surely?

If so what size are the existing tails? are you planning to replace them?

Nope it's a brand new supply straight from the cut out just installed by northern power.

Like I said its only feeding 32 and a 6 amp circuit.

Wandering what size tails to use from the meter to my consumer unit.

The 2 way board has a 100amp main switch. 32amp ring circuit and 6 amp lighting circuit both on rcd

I always thought 63/80amp main switch use 16mm and 100amp main switch use 25mm. Just after a bit of clarity as I don't wanna be barking up the wrong tree.

Cheers
Looks like 100 amp main switch, but no idea about the fuse capacity

Last edited by a moderator:
Probably need to put in 25mm tails if its a new supply some DNO will not connect if tails are not 25mm EDF now UK power networks won't.

had a major issue with this on the IoM a few years back,

new build site for LA and they specified 25mm tails,

MEA refused to connect them up, apparently they couldnt get anything bigger than 16mm into their meters.! :slap

40 houses I had to go back and change,

they did agree to us putting a pair of ISCOs in 'their' cabinet and putting in a short link of 16mm from those, CU was inside with external metering so that was the easiest solution,

and, if you knew the MEA you would know that putting ANYTHING in 'their' cabinet is akin to sleeping with their wife and twin 16yo daughters and the same time! :eek:

Well I would go for 25mm.

But it's a strange installation to limit yourself to JUST a 2 way CU isn't it?
I think I'm gonna go for 25mm to be sure. It's only a small office + shop with a few sockets and fluorescents in each. There will never be any need to expand the customer said so a 2 way is fine. I did push towards a 5 way but got shot down.

For the extra minimal cost, I would fit something a bit bigger. The next owner of the shop may curse you (or your client) for specifying something with no room for expansion.