Motor Rewind

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kiwiNCFC

Reaction score
I have been looking for electrical apprenticeships for ages and to no avail but have just seen one which is asking for an Trainee Electrical Winder/Fitter.

What does motor rewind involve? I know about synchronous motors/squirrel cage motors/induction/poles etc from the 2330 level 2 but not really sure what it involves?

I ideally want to get into domestic/commercial electrics but I need to take some sort of electrical job before I get too old (past the apprentice age).

Cheers guys

Okay, Would you say it has good career prospects? I really want to take an apprenticeship but I'm not sure if this would get repetitive or not.

I don't think training in motor rewinds will prepare you for a job as a domestic or commercial electrician. It's a very specific job.

Prodave is right . I once worked for a rewind company with a contracting side, the two are entirely different. Although very interesting , the rewinds was all workshop/ bench work other than removing and re-fitting a motor on site .

Thanks guys! Appreciate your help! Might give this a miss then!

Thanks!

Personally i would not bother even the larger motors these days hardly ever fail most company's who have them have a very strict preventative maintenance program in place.

and as said already smaller motors are just more cost effective to replace (longer guarantee and only about 30% more cost)

I think it is a dying trade and the money will not be as good as working for a electrical contractor. Just keep trying someone someday will employ you (hopefully not too long tho)

Ok guys, i am gonna put a spanner in the works and go against general opinion on your feedback to KiwiNCFC.

Now we all know at the moment that jobs are really difficult to gain at the moment, and its a known fact that at present there are loads of youngsters out of work and unable to get their first job at the moment, this is why the previous government introduced "future jobs fund" for 18 to 24 year olds who had been unemployed for 12months (btw now scrapped by Conlibs).

So the way I see the situation is that Kiwi and the rest of the young population should be better off learning and earning in something they are either interested in or something not too disimilar. Which will give them a sense of pride, meaning and achievement in life and kiwi can still look for his ideal opportunity at the same time and hopefully get a good reference from this employer.

So yes KiwiNCFC go for it mate because you never know what doors it might open for you and its much better than doing nothing at home and getting demoralised.

go for it , always looks better being in a job than out of work. should be pretty interesting and could open some doors for you when you are out and about working.

these doors could be getting into hvac ect or coming across a contractor that thinks yes i would give that hard working bloke a chance.

Have they offered any structured training NVQ's, City+Guilds or any other recognised training at their cost.

If they have go for it, not a lot of jobs in my area of South Wales so take it.

Most jobs have a probationary period where employer or employee can terminate at any time. Use this time to see if you like the job.

You may well learn mechanical skills in the rewind co.

Bearings, shaft repair, machining, possibly even welding.

If they have a site work side then you may even get machinery repairs.

One of our local motor rewinders are now machinery experts and even health and safety consultants apparently!