Multiple Rkp

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steptoe

of course Im wrong, ask my wife™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
is there any issue with daisy chaining/spidering more than 1 RKP or bell box from a 'standard' domestic intruder alarm.?

Ive been asked to go look at one next week where they want an additional bell box [2 in total],

and possibly 2 additional RKPs [ 3 in total],

Ive moved some detectors in the past in this property, and, from my poor memory, I think it may well be an Accenta Gen panel.

Im just concerned if the power outputs will be enough to drive multilple sounders/RKPs .

thanks Noz,

hes a fairly amicable fellow so I'll simply pre-warn him it 'may' , not work, but chances are it will be fine,

yep, its just a bog standard 3 bed semi,

Keypads - not usually a problem, but be sure to change the addressing on one of them.

Bellboxes - The manuals for the panels usually state to have 1 bellbox set as SAB and the other as SCB. This will limit the current drawn from one of the bellboxes. Most panels will struggle to power 2 when all the bells and whistles are going.

The number of keypads depends on the make of panel. You can't just "add them on"

Most modern panels the key pad needs to be addressed (usually a switch / switches / links at the back) It uses this to tell if there is a problem and with which keypad, most will not work properly if you add another keypad of an already existing address.

As for external sounders, I wouldn't recommend using most "off the shelf" sounders as an SCB as they are not dedicated and are often feeble sounding after a while.

Its the strobes that draw more current than the sounder part, so for the 2nd sounder don't connect the strobe.

Also you should connect the sounders so that the first sounder has its tamper return connected to the supply of the 2nd sounder, and the 2nd sounder has its tamper return connected to the panel tamper return.

The reason you do this is so that if EITHER sounder is tampered with the alarm will actually go off. The most common mistake is to connect both sounders in parallel, the problem with this is that as both tamper returns are going to the same terminal, tampering with either external sounder does NOT set the alarm off.

If you want a diagram, just ask.

i know veritas RKP's can have multiple, each is set with their own address though on the RKP. as for bellbox, can be done but wiring is slightly different to keep tamper continuity

Latest posts