mystery transformer

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vince

Reaction score
i am replacing a consumer in leeds and noticed a strange connection i havent seen before,i have a live and neutral but no earth supplied,tt system with a earth spike in cellar,BUT the house has been empty for a while and the earth has been cut to board.the remaining earth runs from spike to a connector to a dc transformer plugged in with do not switch off marked all over it!!!!!!!!!!!!!! one freind suggested a electronic damp proof course????????????????? i am puzzled as to what it is and know if my Ze readings are acceptable it will be safe but WHAT is it?????? any ideas would be gratefully recieved

Any pics would be gratefully recieved, too mate - we aren`t in the position of having seen what you`re describing.

IF the EC doesn`t go to either the MET or an EMB; then you aren`t going to get an Ra, are you?

What is the connection to the trans-x? What is the rating & output of the trans-x? Where is it plugged into?

Need more info to provide any help

KME

i've googled electric damp proof course and thats what i have,property has been empty for a while and cellar is really damp so the earth spike will do its job at the moment,when tenants move in and there was talk of a de-humidifier in cellar as it dries out the readings will be dramatically diffrerent i would have thought.website i was looking at described a titanium wire cemented into masonary and a earth spike at other end.property has had a recent meter change and i'm now wondering if there should have been a supplied earth and meter fitter has seen spike and thought tt???? is this possible??? i don't want to sign it off as safe to find as its occupied and dries out they lose 80% of the earth or something similar.i'll speak to landlord and explain plus its a rcd board so that should 'cover' me

thanks KME for quick reply by the way

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 00:36 ---------- Previous post was made at 00:35 ----------

ELCB??? you've lost me pls explain

Ignore previous you replied while I was typing! :) Guinness

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 00:38 ---------- Previous post was made at 00:37 ----------

and again!!!

slow paws needs typing lessons again!!

:_|

i'm same mate not the fastest typer these young uns put me to shame

in a wet through cellar i'm going to get good readings i might have to insist on going back in a month and re-checking for peace of mind.i know rcd covers me but i don;t want to lose sleep.thanks for replies you guys enjoy the rest of your evening thanks again

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 00:46 ---------- Previous post was made at 00:42 ----------

trailor boy i know what you mean and no its nothing like that arrangement,you know yourself no matter how long you are in this game every now and then something suprises you and i haven't seen this before,you learn something new every day springs to mind!!!! thanks guys

ooooops sorry i didn't mean to offend with trailor boy,special location thanks for input i'll sleep better tonight.its good to think aloud every now and then cheers

you could put 30 days or whatever on your cert if you are worried about something changing,

its not binding, but at least you will cover you ass if something changes and you havent been back to check it.

On the subject of osmosis damproofing...

I recently did a job on a house and the owners had turned theirs off for about 18months while the house was empty... they have just had to replace all the downstairs wooden floors and joists:( :( :(

I wouldn't worry too much about tranny, provided the electrical supply to it is compliant and earthing arrangnets are correct. But if it says do not turn off, I would take notice of that!!!