napit elecsa joining

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob69

Reaction score
Hi All,

Do i really need to join the likes of the NAPIT's or ELECSA's of the world to do my job??? Could somebody tell me the pro's and con's , costs and hassle involved in joining or not.

PS.......Thinking about joining Elecsa!!!!

Thanks Rob

If you are doing electrical work on domestic you are going to be pretty limited if you don't join a scheme or it will be very costly.

Part P building regulations require much of the work done in domestic installations to be notified to your Local Building Authority control (LABC)

hi my own view is that it works out cheaper to be registered with a scheme you are sure that all your work can be self certified and their is the added bonus of free advertising from their website, i am with niceic and have picked up quite a few jobs from customers looking on their website for contractors in their area.

also some councils and housing associations insist on you being with niceic etc before you can do work for them.

sure its a pain paying your reg fee and having assesments etc but once youve bit the bullet its done and worth it in the long run

just my own view on the matter

Agree 100% with the above. Plus; although it doesn`t have the status it once did, scam scheme membership helps you to appear a different breed than the cowboy joes.

The providers are not perfect, in the same way as LABC, they simply cannot police everything or everybody.

One thing has struck me, though. Most sparkies joining a scheme have to provide 2 examples of work. 90% seem to do a job in their own house for one, and "hand-pick" the other.

I honestly believe that practice should be stopped. I show my area engineer ALL my certs from the last six weeks or so, and let HIM choose where we go. WHY? Because, if there ARE any mistakes being made by me, I would hope he would spot them, and point them out to me. We are ALL still capable of learning.

KME

I honestly believe that practice should be stopped. I show my area engineer ALL my certs from the last six weeks or so, and let HIM choose where we go. WHY? Because, if there ARE any mistakes being made by me, I would hope he would spot them, and point them out to me. We are ALL still capable of learning.

KME
In an ideal world this would be the preferred method IMHO...

However with some domestic jobs it is not possible to get access at short notice!

You need to either arrange a key or get the customer to be in...

Obviously commercial work generally have an office / factory / etc.. which its still open and running 5 days+ a week ..

When I did my first assessment when part p started I had to show a first fix and two second fixes that had to be sizeable jobs not just a cu change. I also had to show a commercial job as i am registered to do commercial work also. Nowadays I always show a complete rewire or new build and a commercial job. I don't have to show a first fix because my provider is happy that I am doing first fix ok. I think the problem with part p is if you show a cu change and a minor works this cannot show you are doing work to an acceptable level so for the following year you could be doing a lot of unacceptable work which is what I think is happening now. It needs to be changed so you get registered with one of the five do a job first fix show this then do second fix show this and if work is acceptable you then pass.

can anyone see how joining these cowboys and paying them for notifiable jobs actually makes the trade any safer? on the contrary it has sent plenty sparks underground

I think in the future there is going to be a court case where a cowboy/diyer has caused a death by unsafe electrical work.

the coroner will delve into the world of part p and discover its a crock and demand better regulation.................

did i just dream that ????????

I think in the future there is going to be a court case where a cowboy/diyer has caused a death by unsafe electrical work.the coroner will delve into the world of part p and discover its a crock and demand better regulation.................

did i just dream that ????????
Sounds like an episode of Taggart!

can anyone see how joining these cowboys and paying them for notifiable jobs actually makes the trade any safer? on the contrary it has sent plenty sparks underground
And why have they gone underground? Are they incapable of performing their work to an acceptable standard, or have an issue with paying an annual fee?

Your argument was the same one which circulated amongst the gas fitting profession when Corgi membership first became obligatory. Lots refused, and "went underground".

Does that phrase actually mean that they don`t notify LABC? If they aren`t bothering to issue building notices, do they "bother" with electrical certs, either?

I honestly believe all "genuine" electricians who, during the course of their work, regularly come across notifiable domestic work, WILL either be part of a scheme, or make arrangements to notify LABC themselves. If they don`t, then the term "cowboy", IMO, fits very well; as I believe THEY are the ones who are giving the profession a bad name.

KME

Does anyone know if there are any figures showing scam members and non members. Before Part P and just the NICEIC existing, there were more sparks out of it than in.

I don't know the truth of this but was once told that contracting giants N.G Bailey did not bother with NICEIC .

I don't know the truth of this but was once told that contracting giants N.G Bailey did not bother with NICEIC .

I'd be surprised as most of the people they tended to work for insisted on NICEIC approved contractors.

I'd have thought that too , Exy , the suggestion was that they employed highly qualified design and installation engineers and were vertually a power in their own right.

Probably a load of ballcocks.