Need Help Fitting New Switch To My Lathe.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vikingjohn

Reaction score
I need help to wire my new switch in to my lathe.

Took some pics but I'm not allowed to post links

It's a three position switch and doesn't have common live and neutral terminals

I've tested out the terminals that link up as follows

off 11+12

forward 3+4  7+8  13+14  17+18

reverse 1+2  5+6  9+10  15+16

Inside the motor I have white to live black to neutral and the red wire swaps between white for forward and black for reverse

it appears I need to run links externally to the switch to get it to operate or am I being dumb?

Can anyone help without pictures?

Cheers

John

I've posted some more photos of what I'm trying to do here. http://s493.photobucket.com/user/splinge2002/library/?sort=3&page=1 The wiring diagram I have done will run the motor forward .And in reverse if I give it a push.

I've added some pics of it wired straight to a socket for forward and reverse. I can't see where I'm going wrong. I've added a picture of which terminals join which for forward and reverse. can anyone help me?

No it's the original motor. But the old switch went south over a year ago and I've been running the lathe just forward from a socket.

Got the switch from the manufacturer as a replacement. But it needs wiring in from scratch.

I've been mucking about with it until my head hurts and I'm cross eyed and the most success I've had is with the diagram I'm posted on photobucket.

No the old switch was shorting out. when I removed it it was completely enclosed in insulating tape. when I removed it. it turned out to be what was holding the switch together.

Over a year later I don't know where I put the old switch.

here's the link to the wiring diagram I just tried but trips my rcd

paperwork for the switch is all in chinese

here's the link http://s493.photobucket.com/user/splinge2002/media/IMAG0544.jpg.html

it appears to be a switch that just connects pairs of terminals I've tested which ones and made a list earlier in the thread.

I've reversed them as when it's mounted on the lathe it will match the directions on the cover plate

OK,

I would connect:

L to pin 1

N to pin 5

Link pins 1-3-7

Link Pins 5-9-17

Link pins 4+2

Link Pins 8+6

Link Pins 10+18

Motor Live to Pin 2

Motor Neutral to Pin 6

Connect the Cap to Pin 10

I think!

No guarantees, but, this should connect the L to the motor L in both positions, the N to the motor N in both positions & swap the cap from L in CW to N in ACW, which is what seems to be needed, but, I ran out of paper for my drawing.

Try drawing this out and see what happens first.

it works. but it's back to needing a push to get it to reverse. it runs at about half speed in reverse

That does not make sense unless you have another fault, the motor cap could be goosed.

I'll try to make time to draw it out later and see if there is anything that could have been missed.

it's fairly new. it works both forward and reverse fine when wired to a socket in each configuration separately.  I did that first thing today just to check

Your diagram though different from mine worked in the same way mine did. So at least I can feel slightly vindicated. There must be many configurations of doing it.

My approach has been to double the wires on the input and output side of the switch just to make it easier to think through as i'm working.

I do appreciate your help as I'm getting knowwhere.

OK if the motor is OK wired direct to a plug, then the switch "could" be faulty.

IF the thing works in both directions when wired direct, at the same speed.

If it runs at different speeds when it is wired through the switch, but otherwise is fine, then it must be the switch?

Check the contact resistances.