NEVER - in 20+ years.......

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kme

Fridge Keyholder™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Job - domestic o/h TT; 6mm tails. New CU, among other things...

Calls DNO, who refer me to "swalec", local supplier.

Swalec tell me they only read the meter; everything else done by DNO.

(At this point, I`ll say that I`d made my usual prayer to the HED fairy, who`d been before I got there - no seals on the main fuse).

Back to DNO - No, it`s definitely not us, you need to get Swalec.......

2 Hours later (as we`ve all done).

n.b. the tails are straight into the bottom of the meter. #my seal fairy never touches the meter; only the cutout....

From SWALEC: You can cut the seals on the meter, and call this number when you`ve done, to report a resealing visit.

I`ve been told I can pull the service fuse before (twice), but NEVER unseal the meter!!!!!!

WOW! Did that make life easier or what?????

This is beleive it or not a common problem we all face when doing a full rewire.

The dno are reluctant to attend when required and will in most instances allow you to cut the seals to the main fuse and the meter.

All they do is record it on file for a reseal on next visit, which is in my experiance NEVER!!

Just do it yourself, I always do unless there is a reason not to ie dodgy looking main fuse. I always upgrade tails into meter and then reseal after. The day is not long enough to be on phone too edf and they will not fit isolation switch so what is the choice.

Batty

Yes i have had this in swansea with swalec told me to cut seals on meter i have purchased new seal kits off fleabay to reseal now.Applaud Smiley

Makes life a lot easier, and now that they give permission it is even better. :D

Inceidently, How can you record calls on a landline and a mobile phone, Guys?

Makes life a lot easier, and now that they give permission it is even better. :D Inceidently, How can you record calls on a landline and a mobile phone, Guys?
for landline, you can get adapters that go between phone and outlet and take audio direct from there. for mobiles, you can download a program that does it, but it doesnt work on many phones

Some mobiles have dictophones built in, I've used these before to record a phone call. Only done it once on a nokia and that was actually directions to somewhere so I could replay incase I got lost, don't know if it always works though.

Yes, I understand that you have to pre-warn the other person BEFORE the conversation takes place.

:D

Recording phone calls on a mobile is very handy and used by me all the time.

If your at work and the phone call is important like new work etc etc, I can record the conversation and listen to all the details later.

Never warned them before hand though perhaps I should under the data protection act

the seals that people have been buying to re-seal, what do they look like?

i have seen some on ebay but they look nothing like the seals i see on meters and cut outs.

the seals that people have been buying to re-seal, what do they look like?i have seen some on ebay but they look nothing like the seals i see on meters and cut outs.
i normally use a 1.5mm through crimp (cut in half) with both end of wire stuck in - similar to what DNO used many years ago before the tag type

the seals that people have been buying to re-seal, what do they look like?i have seen some on ebay but they look nothing like the seals i see on meters and cut outs.
I use the copper seals. Stephen Wales used to sell them but you can buy them on ebay they are not exactly the same as what dno use as they usually are stamped but at least if you seal it you have tried. Just use side cutters to seal them.

Batty

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/25-Meter-Seals-and-Wires-SPECIAL-BUY-2-GET-1-FREE_W0QQitemZ170321675621QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_BOI_Electrical_Test_Measurement_Equipment_ET?hash=item170321675621&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1688%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

Was at a job the other day, and noticed that the Scottish Hydro are fitting meters with a build in isolator. They only have their side sealed and the other side left unsealed for the Electrician.

Seemingly when you unscrew the cover it cuts the power, I'm back at the job on Monday and will try and remember to get pics.

Was at a job the other day, and noticed that the Scottish Hydro are fitting meters with a build in isolator. They only have their side sealed and the other side left unsealed for the Electrician. Seemingly when you unscrew the cover it cuts the power, I'm back at the job on Monday and will try and remember to get pics.
have seen similar round here, but there is a switch under the cover. but there was no indication of this on the meter, was only noticed after seals cut and cover removed. would be much easier if all meters were replaced with these

sse yes thats scottish and southern electric fit these some times good idea but edf won't as they are worried that unqualified people may touch them.

Batty