New cabling behind wooden door frame

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The damage was discovered during the second fix. The 'correction' was made and then we were told about it.

Just another thought, it would have been fine to put the cable vertically behind the architrave IF an architrave switch was installed on it. Something like this

Edit; also, perhaps he damaged the cable himself screwing the light to the wall

Last edited by a moderator:
The damage was discovered during the second fix. The 'correction' was made and then we were told about it.

Thats suggests to me that he in fact damaged the cable when putting light up, hence his unwillingness to remove plaster and recable correctly, you may think he is a yeehaww in my book he is, who puts a light directly above a switch knowing cables will take that route, nearly as bad as pictures above sockets :C  

Your post suggested that that running horizontally behind skirting boards was ok..... Which is what I disagreed with.

if an accessory has its cable running vertically down, then obviously it has to pass vertically behind said skirting board. This is what the IET diagram shows ....
I've been looking at various versions of the safe zone diagrams, I find it interesting that none depict skirting boards or door frames, I also think it interesting that the safe zone is extended to a doorway - where could  a cable possibly go after that? This just might be yet another 'grey' area or a simplified diagram, and I am not a fan of runing cables in these locations, (although you don't really have  a choice for an architrave switch). But to me, nothing in the text or diagrams precludes this, and so, as a means of sorting out an issue I don't think it is really a problem, especially if you put the wood bits back yourself, and have additional protection in the form of an RCD. Would I do this by choice, generally not. 

I don't recall ever seeing anything like that, but I have to say I've ben rather busy with solar panels for the last few years and not doing much electrical work, so I have lost touch with many details. I certainly wouldn't use this as a 'daily' installation method, but, a bit like running SWA up a drain pipe, sometimes it is the only option, and as long as it is done with suitable care, I see this as a means of overcoming a problem, like not wrecking a freshly plastered wall......

Given that there are so many guides and rules to follow, and that we are incresingly being told what we can't do, I also tend to work on the basis that unless something is expressly prohibited, then it is an option. Perhaps this is the wrong attitude  :slap

Does the replaced cable run from the wall light above the switch, to the switch ? if so that would have been easier to chase out , rewire & replaster than what his done. The decorating has not been done yet has it.

It looks from your pics the part of cable behind the door liner is the only bit outside safe  zones & its more than 50mm deep so meets the regs. Even so i dont like it.

Next time the wall light is replaced in the future, and new fixings are drilled, I wouldn't be surprised to find a cable pierced again with that wiring arrangement. It would have been better to brings the cables down the other side of the wall and just drill through directly behind both light and switch. (safe zones are mirrored onto the opposite side of the internal wall providing it is just a standard single brick thickness (100mm)

Doc H.

Last edited by a moderator: