new CU

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Dan

Love this site too - which is why I can't seem to get off it!!!

I too am using my own home to get certified by Elecsa. Can't believe the state some of the electrics is in...cables bundled into ceiling voids just with the ends wrapped in tape, numerous earthing cables without sleeving, to name a few.

I'm also changing my current CU to a 17th ed split load, due to the fact that I'm adding about 6 new circuits! This poses my question...

The main fuse states 60/80A on it - what exactly does this mean. Also, I've enquired with EDF about getting it raised and they want a qualified spark to complete the paperwork before agreeing to the request. Does anyone think that I'll be able to get a spark to just fill the form in for me as I'm yet to pass my exams???

The main fuse states 60/80A on it - what exactly does this mean. Also, I've enquired with EDF about getting it raised and they want a qualified spark to complete the paperwork before agreeing to the request. Does anyone think that I'll be able to get a spark to just fill the form in for me as I'm yet to pass my exams???
Hi Mate - Are they asking for one of these:

Notice of Completion of Electrical installation? i know that this one is from WPD.

This one covers England. I also have the following one to cover The whole of Wales.

I have changed the addresses and Fax numbers to the correct ones. (Confirmed by each Western Power Distribution regional office).

By The way - these are available online to "Fax" through to WPD - if anyone is in a rush to get it done. :)

hi batty cheers. all the house lights are wired in 1 radial the other light circuit is an outside light which never gets used. immersion is disconnected, have a combi boiler, kept the wiring incase i want some power in the loft at a later date:8} cooker i will probably put on its own if it gives me any greif.now i need to sort out the paper work side:( ive got some fluke certs i got free with my tester but they seem really long winded,what info do you need to put on there apart from the test readings youve done?
Hello DanMy thoughts are I wouldn't put all lighting on one RCD side, Split between two RCD's Also if possible I would put cooker and immersion through RCBO'S to prevent nuisance tripping.

batty
Hello Dan..

Just to jump in here a minute on this certificate point..

as Batty said it would be preferable to have the lights split on more than one circuit off separate RCD's or RCBO's..

But you are also right in saying that with the CU change you are under no obligation to re-arrange all the circuit layouts at the same time.

However..

On the certificate there should be a box for Comments on existing installation and/or Schedule of additional records..

I would make comment in the box that the customer has been advised to arrange to have light circuits split at their earliest convenience.

Or write a separate letter detailing observations on existing circuits and reference it on the "Schedule of additional records" box & staple it with the certificate.

So you've done everything that is reasonably practical and safe..

But cover your ass/botty/bum/backside* {delete as appropriate}

HTH!

SL:)

However..

On the certificate there should be a box for Comments on existing installation and/or Schedule of additional records..

I would make comment in the box that the customer has been advised to arrange to have light circuits split at their earliest convenience.

Or write a separate letter detailing observations on existing circuits and reference it on the "Schedule of additional records" box & staple it with the certificate.

So you've done everything that is reasonably practical and safe..

But cover your ass/botty/bum/backside* {delete as appropriate}

HTH!

SL:)
My boys think this is going a bit too far, comment on the single light circuit, by all means.

This is not a serious safety issue, nor does it require immediate attention. There is a large number of properties with just one lighting run (and some on a single RCD).

Just because we have to the 17th, doesn't mean everybody's wiring is outdated.

However it may be a 'inconvenience' for the old and disabled.

The Godfather

My boys think this is going a bit too far, comment on the single light circuit, by all means. This is not a serious safety issue, nor does it require immediate attention. There is a large number of properties with just one lighting run (and some on a single RCD).

Just because we have to the 17th, doesn't mean everybody's wiring is outdated.
Absolutely agree with you there Don.. :D

Perhaps the way wot I wrote didn't come out propper.. :(

When I suggest to customer work at "earliest convenience" this may be when they have the next lot of substantial redecorating / building / or electrical work done... could be several years.. ;)

But good for them to know about it so they can plan or schedule it into their plans.

Not an "Urgent" or "As soon as possible" guidance. :|

well before 17th was even a twinkle in the IEE's eye..

I have always suggested to any customers up & down light circuits are a more convenient option..

well worth considering.

and it is another useful spring board to other possible work? :)

However it may be a 'inconvenience' for the old and disabled.The Godfather
It is an inconvenience for anyone of any age if the whole property lets plunged into darkness;) :D :D:) :)

fluke certs i got with my 1652 tester its a 2 page jobby thats seems to have all the boxes needed. its a part p domestic electrical installation certificate for a single dwelling.

fluke certs i got with my 1652 tester its a 2 page jobby thats seems to have all the boxes needed. its a part p domestic electrical installation certificate for a single dwelling.
That would be fine then.

The Boys

(Don's out for the evening)

cool just seems to have a lot of info crammed in there totally different to the ones i used before. :^O

cheers

cool just seems to have a lot of info crammed in there totally different to the ones i used before. :^O cheers
Yes, we know what you mean.

(Were often cramming things into small spaces)

The Boys

just finished doin some IR tests and found the ring for the kitchen to be low at 2.5mohm and i cant even get a reading on l-n just displays 000 wtf is goin on there? ive checked every socket and spur and they all look ok.no obvious nicks cuts etc could this be a squashed cable under a floor board or something?

Ha found it, bloody boiler control wired up behind a false back in a kitchen cupboard.phew had visons of a partial rewire then. :D :D:D

just finished doin some IR tests and found the ring for the kitchen to be low at 2.5mohm and i cant even get a reading on l-n just displays 000 wtf is goin on there? ive checked every socket and spur and they all look ok.no obvious nicks cuts etc could this be a squashed cable under a floor board or something?Ha found it, bloody boiler control wired up behind a false back in a kitchen cupboard.phew had visons of a partial rewire then. :D :D:D
2.5M ohms is ok..

Live to Neutral is zero...................YOU have a load still connected;)