New Garage Circuit

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great post, thx PC. One thing, with the adapter box, these can be butted up against the CU? and do i need to put a grommet inbetween maybe? I suppose if the box is flush with the CU then there will be no ingress i.e. IP4x which will normally required for the top of a CU.

Upon checking the OSG, found that the minimum height for a catenary wire supported cable is 3.5m. My garage is only 2.8m high and the flat roof extension on the other side is only 3m high. Looks like i will have to take up my decking and run the SWA under this. The decking butts up against the garage so should be fine. In fact in retrospect this will probably be a better bet. As to drilling holes in the joists of the decking, do the same regs apply as to a building i.e. 50mm from the top or the bottom?

Another question.. As this is notifiable work, will i need to notify the council before i start the work even though this is an assessment installation for Part P?

Thx, Richard

The 50mm rule is only for rcd protection I think and the swa won't need rcding as it has mechanical protection but prob best to run it over 50mm down from top of decking so that it doesn't get screws put through it IMO.

Who you registering with? As if it's elecsa they allow you to notify as your first job when you pass. Not sure about nic, napit or the others mate

Cheers for that M4tty. Registering with Elecsa so happy days! Did not want to spend another

The garage has no extraneous conductive parts. Am now going to use SWA all the way, RCD protection in the garage and MCB in the house. One potential problem is running the SWA into the house CU. Its plastic and very flimsy. I do not think i will be able to terminate the SWA into it. Can i terminate the SWA into an adapter/junction box then run T&E into the CU? Similarly
The imagaes in the attachments below, are of what I have in my shed/workshop. :)

Garage_CU-pic1.jpg

Garage_CU-pic2.jpg

Garage_CU-pic3.jpg

The pics Welshy has put up are exactly what I described. However, two points:

1. he hasn't connected the armour to earth

2. I suggested knockout boxes because I'll bet you haven't got a cone drill (or similar) to be able to make the 20mm holes, and

3. whatever else you do, do not copy Welshy and open your cu with it still switched on!!!

If you use galv boxes, then yes put grommets in the holes.

Yes put the box right up against the cu keeping the gap to a minimum (make sure you can get the lid on).

Your height for the wire is fine if the only traffic below it will be pedestrian. But if you can get it under the deck it'll look a lot better.

Yes, keep your holes 50mm from the top of any joists (not strictly a reg for decking, but good practice I'd say and it'll show you've read and understood part A, Structure)

Where your swa passes through any brickwork, don't forget to angle the hole downward very slightly toward the outside and use suitable sealant on the inside end.

When I joined ELECSA 4 years ago, you had to pay your fee before you started your assessment job and had to pass your assessment within 6 weeks. Provided you did this okay they would then let you notify your assessment job.

Ring them to check this is still the case though.

Nice pic's, thx Admin. I notice you have not earthed the banjo's. Is it not a requirement to earth the armour either end?

Richard

The pics Welshy Admin has put up are exactly what I described. However, two points:1. he hasn't connected the armour to earth
Correct. Qualified Spark connected the main SWA up (Before I became qualified) and I did the Second SWA. (forgot to connect the Armour to earth.

2. I suggested knockout boxes because I'll bet you haven't got a cone drill (or similar) to be able to make the 20mm holes, and
I have. :) (Yes, I know, you weren't talking to me).

3. whatever else you do, do not copy Welshy and open your cu with it still switched on!!!
The supply was isolated and locked off, at the source (house end). ;)

Elecsa definitely allow you to notify this as your first job I spoke to them and they were fine. Spoke to someone called Karen who confirmed this, so I'm 100% sure that it'll be ok mate. I only registered a few months ago. Hth

Have they told you name of assessor yet. Mine was George something. He was being assessed as an assessor whilst I was being assessed lol but they seemed really nice people who want you to pass. Don't try to trip you up or anything like that. Really nice bunch and the technical helpline are really good and if there's noone available they call back within 15 minutes. Top company IMO mate

Not a dig at you Admin but a learning point for our friend. If he did that during his assessment the assessor would screw him to the floor.
Indeed they would.

Latest posts