New House - New Alarm

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wessy83

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm after some advice please. I've moved into a new house on Friday which has an alarm system problem is we don't have a pass code or any instructions for it and it is displaying "call engineer".

My fist question is:

1. Would there be a way of resetting it? Now I'd love to tell you the make and model bit unfortunately it doesn't say anything on it so I don't know - it does look quite old.

2. My next question, if the current one can't be rectified would it be possible to install a new one using the existing pirs, and bell box?

Many thanks

Lee

I am not familiar with that type, I am sure some of our members will be able to help.

One thing I could say is that it would appear to have been programmed with an engineer code. The good points about this is that it can be regularly checked. The downside of this is that they are often not resettable without the original engineer code.

I take it you have tried the usual 1234 or 9999? Can't say I've ever seen that unit before, but if you want to replace it you should be able to use all the old cable runs. A basic wired alarm can be had for under £100, though I would suggest going digital in case of damage to cable runs (it means you get spare core to use). Given age, back-up battery is almost certainly knackered so probably best not to spend money on this unit and buy a new set of gear.

To be honest I don't really want to start messing with it in case I set it off then can't turn it off again. Can anyone recommend a good digital one to replace it with, preferably an easy fit one using the same wiring :)

get ladder and ear plugs, open bell box and snip cable to sounder, might have to same thing inside if there is an internal sounder. Takes a few minutes and silences alarm

I am not 100% sure but i think that's an early Scantronic. Try 07890
The keypad doesn't seem to react to anything you press. I need to turn the electric off to change a power socket but I'm assuming the battery is dead in the control box and so the alarm will probably go off.

Is there anyway of cutting the power to the alarm without getting to the bell box (it's in a awkward position and my ladders won't reach).

No is the short answer, alarms are designed to awkward to disable, but chances are bell box battery is knackered, so will ring, but not sure how long for.  Ask neighbours if they have a bigger ladder.

I would try to disable it before you have a power cut in the early hours, looks like a v old system so bell battery will prob not last long, not more than 3 or 4 days anyway, 

just kidding

Should be a 3a fused spur near the main panel, or there'll be a fuse on the mains cable inside the metal box to cut the power 

Anyone from Liverpool fancy giving me a quote to fit a new one, I'm kinda giving up on the idea of doing it myself :(