New Kitchen

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lyngarth

Reaction score
Had a chap from down my road knock on my door yesterday, he has just had a new kitchen fitted, by a large company, and in the price was a sum to look over the wiring and move or change if needed ( by their NIC approved contractor )

He asked me to have a look as he was not happy with the location of two sockets by the kitchen sink, he thought they might not be easy or safe to use.

IMG00012-20100723-1229.jpg

He phoned the company up but they told him " If it was not safe to use the electrician would have not left it " so they were happy it was safe and would not send anyone round to check it.

So for the second week in a row I will be working on a Sunday morning and not playing golf :_|

P.S The do not switch off sticker was put on by him, not the spark.

P.P.S Forgot to say, no RCD on sockets.

If that works was done by an AC company, I`d push your neighbour into reporting the company concerned to the NIC - Esp. if they haven`t got RCD protection on the sockets.....You REALLY need him to do that before you touch it, otherwise he hasn`t got a leg to stand on.

KME

Right just been down for a chat and coffee. I'm not going to do any work tomorrow as the son (who has not seen it) wants to get the company back in to put right, which is what I did tell the chap to do.

I have made safe, so they can use the sink plus also said would be happy to meet anyone from the company if needed.

The sockets were there before the new sink was fitted, BUT I have seen the info he got from company and it does say, to remove and relocate two sockets and any other electrical work needed in kitchen area.

On the plus side I'm going round again Monday after work to price up a CU change and to put in extra lights and sockets.

The sockets were there before the new sink was fitted, BUT I have seen the info he got from company and it does say, to remove and relocate two sockets and any other electrical work needed in kitchen area.
in which case, since the electrician hasnt done any work, he hasnt done anything wrong.

your only complaint should be that work wasnt carried out that was supposed to be

has the electrician actually been to the property ?

i would be tempted to call the company and get a manager down to see it

that is incompetence by the kitchen fitters not to realise there was a problem when a tap was going to obstruct the socket.......

muppets !!!!!

I guess this major companies 'Moral Compass' was pointing in the wrong direction that day, a case of profit before service!!

I really don't understand how any of the fitters could complete that job and walk away, I would ask them back, get them to fill up the sink, and then ask them to plug an appliance in, and see if they would be prepared to risk their own lives

Yes the sockets may have been there before, in my view the moment they connected the water to the taps and opened the valves they crossed the line and failed in their 'duty of care'

Frankly I'd give the story to BBC Watchdog the customer will get more satisfaction and the company will get the publicity they deserve

Have they added a socket ANYWHERE on the circuit?

If so, and haven`t provided RCD protection, they`re in breach of regs.

I`d price for the works; but ensure you don`t DO anything until this situation has been resolved. Once you do the CU, they lose any recourse through NIC.

What you CAN do, is to prove yourself an invaluable source of correct info; and the customers will specify that they have a lack of faith in the original contractors, and want YOU to carry out the works. In all likelihood, the NIC would advise the company to cover your costs, and walk away with a customer who is satisfied with the job, at the end of the day.

KME

Right, lets start again. In my second post (6th post) I said the info from the company did say the work wasto remove and relocate two sockets and any other electrical work needed in kitchen area.

He didn't remove the sockets, but I found out last night he replaced one of them as he said ( it had a small crack on the face and if left it could become dangerous ) plus I now also know he wired up a dishwasher from the same circuit and as I said that nothing has RCD protection.

I only found out this info late last night, after a phone call from the son, so sorry for not posting this before.

But even if he didn't do any work he still was there and left the job saying all was safe to use.

Not something I could or would do.

I really cannot believe any company that had fitted a kitchen would leave sockets like that it is totally unbelievable. They deserve to be taken to court and charged with being idiots or something a lot more serious. They really should not be allowed too trade.

Even if there was NO sink there the sockets are too low down against the work surface IMHO...

Reg 553.1.6 page 142!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Or 553-01-06 page 126.. "OLD MONEY" Brown book...

So failed to meet current or OLD regs!!!!!!!!!!!

:_| :_| :_| :_| :run

What's going on with those taps?

One's up and the other's down, yet no water is flowing.