New lighting unit installation

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benge85

Reaction score
Hi.

So I am trying to install a new light unit on the top on my landing.

The main wires have been connected and the light switches on when the power is connected. However the switch does not turn the light on and off. (There are two switches for this, one downstairs and one at the top of the stairs) so I have to use the main consumer unit to turn it off.

There are two seperate wires that haven’t been connected, I would imagine this is the cables to connect both the light switches.

Question is, where do I connect these into? Would they both be connected into the red wire so they are all grouped together?

Many thanks!

Attachments

• 92649804-80D8-45F9-8688-A31C787FC546.jpeg
    92649804-80D8-45F9-8688-A31C787FC546.jpeg
    639.7 KB · Views: 1
Please tell us that you took a pic BEFORE you took the light down, please!
Otherwise we are guessing

Did you put the tape on the wires or was it there before?
No, I didn’t take note of how they were before. However the red tape is something I didn’t add so was already there

The answer to your question is no idea we can only speculate. You are going to need an electrician.
The one with the red tape on looks like a screw has gone through it.

Looking at the cables you have there, you have a T&E with black tape on the earth and a pair of are vulcanised rubber (vir) cables which ceased to be used before 1960 so at a minimum it’s 63 years old, get yourself an electrician to check the condition of your wiring, you mot your car every year get your electrics checked

Looking at the cables you have there, you have a T&E with black tape on the earth and a pair of are vulcanised rubber (vir) cables which ceased to be used before 1960 so at a minimum it’s 63 years old, get yourself an electrician to check the condition of your wiring, you mot your car every year get your electrics checked
That is possible because it isn't overly clear but I think they are 6181Y.