New member on fast track.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rickmusik

Reaction score
Hi there..

Don't know if anyone is in this situation.

I'm in my 50's and in self employment and need to get the qualification to alter the wiring in some flats that I own and for the security of future self employment as a domestic electrician . I don't have the time to do a full time course due to work commitments but can work my day around distance learning.

I'm fairly tekky and having helped in re-wires in the past and am considering a fast track course which is.... Domestic Electrical installer Level 2 with OLCI. The centre is commutable for workshops and the course is

Hello and welcome

The majority view on here would be that a better, more economical route would be via evening classes at your local college.

That said, we welcome everyone here and if you have some practical skills then the course you speak of would be the fastest way to become 'qualified'. Do you have any friendly sparks who would take you out for a bit of experience?

That said 2.5K would pay an electrician to do quite a lot of work to your own flats, you could save your time and employ someone?

If you want to be an electrician that is well and good, but there's many with different levels of qualification unemployed ATM. Members have gone on the dole, taken other jobs to make ends meet. Look in the sections and every day we have someone wanting an apprenticeship with few takers :(

Sorry to rain on your parade! A certain member will tell you it's a young man's game, all the kneeling and crawling around in loft spaces!

Best of luck!

Agree with Patch but you have background knowledge that will help you. The biggest problem I feel with 4 week sparks is that they often do not know when to ask for help/advise but the fact you are on here suggests you will not fall into that catagory anyway.

You will also need to join a little club (Part P scam provider like ELECSA or NICEIC) and will need a suitable test meter. That will probably add another 1-1.5k to the cost (some of that reoccurring too) and you will have to show the scam a few jobs to assess. You may also need some more tools which soon adds up too.

You will usually need a level3 qualification to join a scam (2382 should do it).

Unless you really have the money, time and desire to become a sparks then it may be more cost effective (as patch suggests) to get a regular sparks to do the flats. Sparks end up in some bad places so it is really a young persons game (or at least you need an apprentice to abuse, erm I mean use for crawling in small tight spaces).

Ian.

Hi there..Don't know if anyone is in this situation.

I'm in my 50's and in self employment and need to get the qualification to alter the wiring in some flats that I own and for the security of future self employment as a domestic electrician . I don't have the time to do a full time course due to work commitments but can work my day around distance learning.

I'm fairly tekky and having helped in re-wires in the past and am considering a fast track course which is.... Domestic Electrical installer Level 2 with OLCI. The centre is commutable for workshops and the course is

Im not too clued up on all the different courses, but experience is the key. I've been doing it day in day out for 6years and I still need more experience. I'd try to get with an electrician for 1 day a week, you would learn more in that day than in a week at college. Obviously you still need your college quals.

i would look to do the course at night collage it would prob take the same amount of time, as u have to wait for workshops and prob cheaper. its ok if u have experiance and need the qualifications.

but like mentioned try to get on with a spark

hi and welcome,

as all the other posters have said, do not go on one of these fast track courses, night school for level 2 and 3 is your play while building your experience by whatever way you can;)

best wishes

alan